PDA

View Full Version : 2006 - the year of the Bass !!!

David Lee
12-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Just an observation here .....

I'd fished Black Bass long before I started w/ a flyrod ..... but aside from a few hard-core Buggers , it always seemed like Bass Bugging was a sort of second-rate kind of hobby .

It isn't that way anymore :evil:

Over the past year , we've seen a HUGE amount of interest in Bass fishing - a LOT more that I ever imagined !! From 'surface only' guys , to the anything goes type of flyrodder ..... and this is a good thing !

We're seeing new flies , trading information , and learning from folks who BREATH Bass - I never thought Bugging would take-off the way it has . Surface Bugging , along with shooting heads , are among the very few aspects of flyfishing that were born here in America - kind of nice to see the real national passtime get a leg up again .

Guess I'm just thinking out loud again ..... :)

Anyways , here's to 2007 ..... and more fun with BASS !!!!

David

Ed Wahl
12-10-2006, 01:43 PM
All right a toast! :D. Had to run over and fill a bourbon glass. Okay, hear hear, to more Bass fishing. If this works out right someone will ring in with other fish, I could be toasting all afternoon. :D

David Lee
12-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Damm !! It never occured to me .....

Good call , Ed !!

David :unibrow:

Jay Murakoshi
12-10-2006, 08:43 PM
David,

In the early years, fly rodding for bass was big. They had there own magazine for a while, a short while. I use to fish bass ponds alot on both public and private. I had acess to one of the BEST bass ponds around (and can still get in there- I think)
It's on a vineyard in San Benito County and the guy has three ponds. One is/was full of trout with cool water. He had the pipes from the chilling building runnning though the pond which kept the water cool in the summer. Some good size trout.

Now the bass pond. this is what I was mainly interested in. It was about 5 acres. It was loaded with Florida strain bass and catfish. A few bluegills, that had a life rate of about 2 days, if lucky. I really didn't believe him when he told me that there were a few bass that would go around 18lbs. Soooooooo, he took me over by the walkway pier and said "WATCH". He turned on the automatic feeders and it looked like a wave machine. There were tails, heads and bodies flying everywhere.
then they started swimming by the shore and my gawd !!!! they were huge. So I ran back to my work truck and got out the fly rod. I had to carry one for a measuring stick - 9' was the perfect length. I proceeded to hook one about 9lbs. Too make a long story short, I went back on the weekends and after work and used nothing but top water hair bugs. My largest LMB was 14lbs- A BRUTE.

I don't know if the winery is still in business or not.

Jay

lee s.
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Jay,
That sounds like at least one of the ponds around here.....without the pellet machine though.
Life expectancy of a BG under 10"....about 2 days for sure. :wink:
.....lee s.

sculpin
12-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Year of the Bass . Well hell yes . I'm with Ed , lets pour us a little toast "hic" . Anthing else that needs a proper toast just letmeno. Urp.
\:D/
Mark

Hairstacker
12-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Anyways , here's to 2007 ..... and more fun with BASS !!!!

Hear, hear, here too! May we all catch one of these on top: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/SpringPlans.jpg