PDA

View Full Version : Missula, MT

Nip Hadlock
12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Guys;
I'll be in Missula with the in-laws the last week of this month. Never been there...
Please tell me there's fishing nearby :?:
Numbing cold v. in-laws is a no brainer if there's a bite... :twisted:
Nip

SteelieD
12-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Rock Creek, the Bitteroot, Clark Fork. There are plenty of places to fish! I'm not sure what December is like, but it probably won't be crowded!

http://www.kingfisherflyshop.com/rivers/river_maps.cfm

http://www.grizzlyhackle.com/fishingreport.shtml

I'm sure others will chime in...

slimfishin's
12-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Be sure to check the regulations, since much of the trout fishing may be closed right now. You may want to consider driving over the hill to fish the Clearwater for steelhead instead... I'm not sure what kind of winter fishing is available there.

SF

bp
12-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Nip

have fished most of the water around Missoula different times of the year. confident you should have good fishing, just depends on what's fishing good during December. if you are willing to do a little investigation you should get some good advice from local shops. My experience is that Grizzly Hackle will "big league" you, so last resort. my sleeper is the fly desk at the Sportsmans Warehouse. my buddies and i call our favorite guy the "4th Bee Gee". look for a guy who has long hair and fits the nickname - you can't miss him. alsok, flies are like $.89 a piece by the dozen. next stop should be the Kingfisher and you should also stop by Dan Wards.

my favorite is Rock Creek. Rock Creek is "measured" in miles from its confluence with the Clark Fork. recommend you go up at least 5 miles, starting just past the Elk campground. there is a turn-out to park right at the entrance of Spring Creek and it gives good access for runs and corners. any turn-out above that should also be good. you can be as adventurous as you like as far up as you like.

the 'Root should be low and clear and very wadeable as well. this is also a beautiful river with a bunch of fishing access points all the way up - get some advice on what's fishing well and check them out.

Missoula is as good a fishing destination as you will find so investigate and enjoy. my buddy who i have fished with for years just moved to AZ for a new job. i will ping him for December advice and pass along.

Enjoy!

bp

slimfishin's
12-10-2006, 11:48 AM
You can check to see if there are winter seasons on streams around Missoula on the MFWP website:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/regspec.asp?fishdist=w#c

Like others have mentioned, I'd stay away from the Grizzly Hackle (just on principle that last time I was there, they didn't even sell grizzly hackle! figure that one out). I would also recommend the Sportsmans Warehouse and the Kingfisher.

Have fun up there.

SF

DocEsox
12-10-2006, 02:48 PM
West fork of the Bitterroot is fun fish with low winter water. It has some beautiful native westslope cutthroats.....as well as some rainbows and browns. Its about 40 or so miles south of Missoula and you are driving along the Bitterroot all the way so can stop and fish almost anywhere.

I've caught some great browns in the winter on the Beaverhead but it is much more of a drive. Lived in Great Falls for many years and the upper Missouri can be fabulous then with almost no fishing traffic....but that is a long drive from Missoula.

RockCreek is always great....just check the regs......most of these areas are open for catch and release.

Have a great time.....don't ignore the inlaws completely..... :D

Brian

Nip Hadlock
12-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Great advise...thanks guys! 8)

bp
12-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Nip

as promised, advice from my local buddy, Ken Lanzel.

As for the recommendation for December, it all depends on the temperature. If it is mid 20’s or below, just go to Bayern Brewery and catch a few Trout Slayer Ales. If it is warmer (Missoula warm) like 34 on up, I would be on the Bitterroot (no further down stream then Florence) or the Clark Fork (from Missoula to Superior) fishing small midges (20 or smaller) black gnats, Griffith gnats, Renegades, or any BWO imitation with your favorite midge wet fly (mine is a miracle midge or Green Zebra midge with silver wire). The action will happen from about 10 am to 3 or 4 pm. If worse comes to worse bounce a Hares Ear on the bottom of glides and holes and you are sure to catch Uncle Whitey.

Skip the Blackfoot, it was too cold back in November during hunting season.

As far as Rock Creek, regardless of the temperature (mid 20’s on up) it is always nymphable. Look for fish to be stacked up in the head of holes (sometimes can be like catching fish in a barrel). Fish some patterns like Copper John’s (Red), small egg patterns, midge patterns, San Juan’s, and Hare’s ear for Uncle Whitey. You should stay on the lower stretch of Stream because the road gets fairly icy once the pavement ends. You should be able to walk from hole to hole and locate fish.

Tell the Gentleman, Best of Luck.

From a previous post, note the return of Uncle White. Finally, if you are a beer guy, don't miss visiting both the Bayern and Big Sky Breweries. for a burger check out Nap's and Ironhorse provides a good meal and excellent indoor scenery

bp :D

Nip Hadlock
12-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Wow! Great info....Thanks!

dtp916
12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I was going to comment on the Big Blackfoot, but i see that is not good right now...That was the river in "The River Runs Through It" :D

Good Luck brotha, take lots of pics and post them for us!

Mike O
12-20-2006, 10:15 AM
check for the winter whitefish seasons! I know, I know, trash fish, but they are real good smoked.

Maggots are the fly of choice, either the natural (freeze them a little first, put them in a chew can (or altoids container)) or use white thread on a hook, a la midge.