PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing on Oahu - Kailua

dtp916
12-08-2006, 12:58 AM
It appears I am invited to Hawaii the first week of January....At first I thought it was a vacation, now it appears there is an alterior motive, working on the house :lol:

Wanted to do some fishing, of course. There is the Ala Wai canal, which has several species of fish, namely Tilapia and barracuda :evil: . Lake Wilson, a large resevoir, that hold many species, including some big Peacock Bass :D . And then of course, there is the surf...

I know next to nothing about saltwalter fly fishing, I am mostly a trout fisherman :lol: I want to maximize my opportunities, since I will be working on the family's house for at least 6 hours a day.

Any suggestions on tackle (I only own a 5 wt :? ), flies, spots, and techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 8)

Darian
12-08-2006, 08:21 AM
James,.... Can't help you much with this but, hopefully, Don "mems" Memmer will chime in with his perspective.... He resides over there (not on Oahu, tho) and fishes the islands. If he doesn't post, you could send him a PM with your questions. 8) 8)

dtp916
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
James,.... Can't help you much with this but, hopefully, Don "mems" Memmer will chime in with his perspective.... He resides over there (not on Oahu, tho) and fishes the islands. If he doesn't post, you could send him a PM with your questions. 8) 8)

Thanks for the heads up, I sent him a PM before I posted the new topic 8)

mems
12-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Aloha, I would get an 8wt. I would get a floating and an intermediate line. Get some fluro tippet, 10-15lbs. Get some clousers for the jacks and barracuda. Get some charlies and x-mas island specials and some tan merkins, and go hunting for bonefish. There are a number of guides, Nervous Waters fly shop has guides. There is also Ollie at shoreline adventures, and there is Louie the Fish. They all offer wade fishing guide service. Dave Hill at dfishluv@hotmail.com has a flats type boat and he fishes all over the island. We went to Kaneohe sand bar and saw some huge bonefish over there. He has the best set up for covering the water and getting really close to the fish. The flat there is just awesome. There are a number of easy access spots for you to do it yourself, email me at kickithilo@yahoo.com for more info on that. If you haven't done this type of fishing before, then I would get a guide for the day and learn the techniques. They can even help you with flies. Let me know if I can help any more, and don't bang your thumb when helping out with the house. It might screw up your casting, Mems.

slimfishin's
12-08-2006, 06:38 PM
You need to talk with Kevin Faucheux at Nervous Waters. 808-743-7359

My experience was outstanding - one of the best guided trips I've been on, bar none. The saltwater fishing there can be a bit tough to get a handle on, but don't discount it. Do some homework on public access to the reefs and just go cast around the structure. You could get into some trevali and noo-noo (trumpet fish?) and whatever other predacious fish are swimming around. I wouldn't even bother with the flourocarbon, just go 30# maxima with a 16-20# tippet. Don't be fancy, just be prepared.

Watch the surf - its serious.

SF