PDA

View Full Version : canon power shot

Jay Murakoshi
12-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm starting to look at those canon power shots. I've seen them up to 10mp. This is for my wife since she's always complaining about me not bring my cameras where ever we go.

Which model is the easiest to use

Thanks

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I think many of us at Kiene's like Canon but Olympus, Sony and Nikon all make great little P&S digitals.

Olympus (new) and Pentax WP have the water proof models though. They can be take 3 feet under without failure. They don't have a view finder though, just the LED screen, so in bright light it is sometimes difficult.

Tiny cameras are really good because your wife can put it in here purse and always have it with her.

Adam Grace
12-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Okay, I sell digital cameras for a living and here's my opinion. CANON!

I like my Pentax for outdoor shots near water but it isn't great for an all around camera. I have thought about selling my Pentax and buying Canon's SD800IS.

Nikon makes excellent DSLR's but they're compact camera's are slow and their flash photography doesn't compare to Canon. The same goes for Olypmus, although I would recommend an Olypmus compact camera over the Nikon.

My suggestion for a small compact camera is the Canon SD800IS, 7 MP. The SD800IS is the newest in the ever-popular line of compact Canon camera like Tristan's SD300.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd800is.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/canon/canon_ixus800is_frontback-001.jpg

If you want a high mega-pixel camera go for the SD900, a 10 MP camera. I recommend the SD800IS over the SD800 due to the Optical Image Stabilization that the SD900 lacks. The Image Stabilization greatly reduces camera shake which produces sharper pictures, especially in low light. They both feature Canon's new Digic III processor with face recognition and high ISO ratings that allow for higher shutter speeds when not shooting with a flash.

IMHO, Canon cameras are easier to operate than Nikon, the menu is much more intuitive, and the button structure is preferred more by my customers.

The new improvements to Canon's SD line are awesome, we sell a bunch of those SD800IS's at Best Buy!

Read www.dpreviews.com conclusion of their review on the SD700IS the 6MP version here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd700is/page11.asp

Jay, Call me if you have any questions.

DonCooksey
12-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Great photos Tristan! If those were taken with a 4 mega pixel camera, then who needs 10 mega pixels? I love the first one, where my attention was first drawn to that incredibly clear water and rocks in the center and then down to the brighter lower area. Only then did I notice that beautiful trout off to the left side. Classic photo. The others are great too.

Jay Murakoshi
12-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Adam,

I read your post regarding the information on the camera. I just came back from looking at the Nikon S7c or something like that. Damn, what I liked about this camera is the big picture. I wish my nikon digital had that, seems like it is great for someone like me who is blind.
Has anyone used the Nikon camera mentioned above

Remember this is for my wife who needs something simple like a Kodak Instamatic

Jay

Brad Blancett
12-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Jay,

I am with Adam.
My wife is camera challenged But she liked my old Canon S230 digital ELPF so I got to up grade. Canons are easy to use.Stay clear of the Kodak and HP cameras they are SLOW .

Fuzz
12-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Jay, I think you should consider the Canon PowerShot A630 (8MP) or A640 (10MP). I have the A630 and love it. It has an articulating LCD so you can take close-ups and other awkward types of shots without having to contort yourself to see the screen. It also uses 4 AA batteries (either regular or rechargables) so you never have to worry about running out of power. It's bigger than the Elf style cameras but I find the articulating LCD a pleasure to use. (It also folds in so the screen is protected in your pocket.) In a pinch just take a picture through the viewfinder. This camera doesn't have image stabilization so maybe that would be a factor on a boat. Just my .02 I've lately seen this camera for $260 (after $40 rebate).

Fuzz

Rob
12-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey Adam

Any thoughts on this camera ?

Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

RobK.

Adam Grace
01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm a fan of Canon, it's like Ford owners v.s. Chevy Owners.

Check out dpreview and read about ther review on that camera, it rated pretty highly and compared very well to Nikon's $400 more D80, which is a very nice camera. The Canon is a steal at that $900 price point at 10MP. Go for it Rob, you'll love it!