PDA

View Full Version : Working Spook

Jay Murakoshi
12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Here's my revised Zara Spook. It's been tied on a 4x hook with alot of hair stacks.

It reacts just like the Zara Spook the bass fishing guys use. Walking the dog is a little different with fly rod. I add weight to the rear of the fly so it's sitting a little lower on the surface.

I hope to have some 6x long hooks in my hands by the end of the week. Most of the spooks I have tied now are on tubes, a little different reaction to the fly.

Look at the photo and if anyone has comments or if you have tied them up before, let me know how they worked for you

thanks

Jay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/ZaraSpook.jpg

jbird
12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Jay

Looks fabulous :D About how long does it take you to tie one of those?

Looks like a LOT of deer hair! :shock:

J

Jay Murakoshi
12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
The one in the photo took 7 minutes to spin the deer hair. The trimming took about 15 minutes. Since this is shorter than the tube Zara Spook I only spun 59 stacks of hair but still applied the stacks on top to make the fly denser.

Right now, I'm working on a articulated pattern. This fly will be around 8" in total length by the time it's finished. A motorcycle helmet will be required when casting this monster.

I've been thinking about doing a tying demo at the shop one of these weekends. Alot of people are curcious how the bill is applied and exactly what it looks like in the water.

Jay