PDA

View Full Version : Gyotaku

mems
12-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Aloha, what do you guys think about gyotaku or fish impressions on rice paper? I once caught this huge flying fish, like three lbs and the captain was so tickled we had it made into a gyotaku print for him. I am considering having prints made for my clients who catch papio, blue andwhite trevally; and bonefish made for them. Check out this web site to see what I mean. www.gyotakushop.com I like the fact that you don't have this huge dead fish hanging on your wall. The art work is kinda zen like. Mems.

Darian
12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Don,.... I'm a big fan of this type of art. I have a T-shirt that has a print of a Dorado on it taken from an imprint.

As you point out, it looks a lot better and is a lot smaller than a fish head or body attached to the wall. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
12-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Mems,

I have two of them that are framed. One is my first permit that I"ve ever caught. It was 27lbs and beautiful. It's around 34". My other print is a milk fish that was caught last year.
Greg, of Carpentaria Seafaris has been doing this for a few years. I took it up when I got home. It was full steam ahead but the excitment soon wore off. I found that the flatter the fish, the easier to make the print. I have a couple bluegill prints I made that came out so-so. My next attempt will be a striper.

The two prints I have now might be hanging in Kiene's shop after the first of the year. They are collecting dust in my closet. My wife says "that they don't go with our decor" I also have 4 mounted fish I might give to Kiene's to hang.

I'll have to check into the site

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Have you visited his gallery. I use to live in the area where he's loated but this was back in the late 50's early 60's. then I moved to the mainland.

Jay

slimfishin's
12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Some of the best gyotaku prints made are done locally! Chris Dewees over at UC Davis is one of the best around - and you can see a selection of his t-shirt prints at the wildlife gift shop in downtown Davis (there's a nice striped bass shirt I've been looking at, but the golden trout is the best). Check out his webpage:

http://www.renbrown.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl?command=goto&file=DEWEES_Christopher.html

http://www.miwacybele.com/christopher_dewees_biog.htm

http://northatlanticbooks.com/store/1883319412.html

Just google Christopher Dewees and you'll pul up a bunch of stuff.

SF

mems
12-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the info. Jay that awa,milkfish must look pretty cool. How big was it? They are the weirdest looking fish, only one jaw slit for gills and those eyes! I will check out the other guys site. That is cool you did it yourself Jay, that would be a fun thing to be able to do. I have a friend in the wood buisness, he could make koa frames for me. I had him give me some koa pieces for a guy making his own fly rods. He wanted it for reel inserts. I like it when everything comes together. Mems.

Glen Tagami
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey Don,

I have an original Kagami pressing from Naoki and hope to purchase one of his 3-pannel pressings in the future. He does fantastic work!!

GT