PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12/05

larry sommerfeld
12-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I launched at 7:00 a.m. at B & W and was fishing by 7:30. I fished hard all morning and by 2:30, had only one 3 lb for my efforts. The water is cold but clear. I'm certain that THIS TIME OF THE YEAR water temp has more to do with the bite than tide or moon. Around 2:30, the water temp had risen to a balmy 49 degrees and the bite turned on. Between 2:30 and 4:30 (time to go home) I picked up 9 more fish.

The bite has also changed. Most of my fish hit on the pause - between strips. I could feel the take sometimes, but most of the time I didn't. I would strip, pause, and when I started to strip again, I had a fish on. I also had a lot of short strikes, with fish on for 5 seconds or less. I went to smaller flys, but then I didn't get hit at all. I had my best action by stripping in a normal fashion but with more pauses and drops. The sponge bite hasn't started yet, but we're getting close.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I fished the Upper Rogue River for Steelhead in October with guide Al Perryman about 15 years ago.

The water was under 50 degrees in the morning and would usually warm up a little mid-day to just over 50 degrees.

Al said he felt the bit there was best between 11:00AM and 5:00PM as the water was warming some.

This is probably true in the Delta now.

Jim Christensen likes to fish slower sinking lines and slow sinking flies (with more action) in the Delta in the winter.

Tracy Chimenti
12-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Crazy isn't it. I always hear that the steelies on the lower Yuba bite best in the early AM.

jbird
12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Fish are cold blooded. Their body temp fluctuates with the water temp. as does their motabolism. A fish's motabolism slows considerably in temperatures below what their body normally encounters. On the other hand, in warm summer temps the fish are more likely to wake up when the water cools. Making mornings a good time to fish.

The upper rogue is a tailwater fishery that not only has a controlled flow, but its temperature is controlled also. Its a cold stretch of river. That is why, to Bills point, the fish do turn on in the mid day. Steelhead have an ideal temperature (which varies from river to river and summer to winter runs) They all get lethargic when the water temperature plummets. That does not mean they cant be caught. A little knowledge on presentation and 'water types' to fish during cold temps goes a long way.

Jay