PDA

View Full Version : fly vise

fishbonz
12-05-2006, 02:30 PM
what rotatory vise would you suggest for all around tying. Mainly size 14 up to 3/0, with rare chance to go smaller. Hoping to find a suggestion for something less than $100. If not, how about less than around $150? thanks.

ced.

Darian
12-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Fly vices come in all shapes/sizes.... The range of sizes you want the vice to accomodate and your price range limits your choices. Most of the vices in the price range you specify will not easily accommodate size 3/0 hooks without modification and may not be a true rotary vice. :? :?

There are a number of vices in your price range.... However, if you want to spend a few dollars more, you could buy a Renzetti Traveller or a Regal, rotary-jaw, C clamp for example. There're many others that I'm sure you'll hear about on this BB. 8) 8) 8)

The one rcommendation I would make to you is that you consider the type of tying you itend to do (you've already specified your price range), decide what functionality you want from a vice and the features you'd like. Write them down. Then make your decision based on whather the vices you consider meet these requirements. 8) 8) 8)

Hairstacker
12-05-2006, 03:01 PM
ced, when you say "rotary vise," do you mean one that simply allows you to rotate the fly or one that also maintains the hook shank in a horizontal plane as the fly is being rotated (commonly referred to as "true rotary)?

If you're seeking a "true rotary" vise for less than $100, I've heard some really like the Danvise, although others have found it ugly-looking. Hard to beat the typical $89.99 price though.

For a non-true rotary vise, I like the HMH Silhouette, which can also be had for less than $100.

Have you had a chance to check out the vise shootout/reviews on www.flyfisherman.com? Also, on www.flytyingforum.com, there is a thread titled, "What vise do you use?" at the very top of the "The Fly Tying Bench" section, in which there is a poll, as well as over 300 posts of folks piping in and offering comments on the vise(s) they use.

alaskanfish
12-05-2006, 04:06 PM
I own and use a DanVise. It is a true rotary vise and will handle up to 3/0 hooks with the stock jaws. It is certainly not pretty, but gets the job done. It is composite and has a clamp-on base. I am really looking at upgrading to the NorVise however.. though it is not in your stated price range (probably around $325 with the larger jaws). The others already suggested are also great vises.

dtp916
12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Regal is my favorite...Only problem is I have chipped the jaws tying 20 and 22 sizes for Putah Creek. But since you aren't tying that small, no worries 8)

jbird
12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
The danvise is a great economy vise. I have a griffin mongoose too. I tie on the danvise just as often. I customized a counterweight on my danvise by mounting a 1" screw theaded up thru the vise body and threaded a 1 1/2 oz lead ball on it. The thing spins like a norvise now that its perfectly balanced.

There are some smokin deals on ebay for danvises. you can get accessories for them from "Mr Danvice", Al Beaty AlBeatty2@aol.com I got mine used and it had a little chip of the tip of the jaw, I emailed Al and he sent me a new set of jaws, free of charge.

J

alaskanfish
12-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Jbird,

That sounds very interesting... would you mind posting (or emailing) some images on exactly what you did... ?????

jbird
12-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Ed

Since the body of the vise is hollow, I ran a little bolt with the head cut off thru the rear end of the notch in the top of the body cylinder. I put a nut on the bolt up inside the cylinder. I put a lockwasher and another nut on the top end of the bolt to secure the bolt verticaly. I then drilled a hole in the lead weight slightly smaller than the diameter of the bolt. I just threaded the weight onto the bolt and kept adjusting the weights height until i had perfect balance. If the weight was too high, the vise would flop over and if it was to low, it would be too eager to return to upright when i spun it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC05509.jpg

This is a pretty good picture to show how simple it was

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC05513.jpg

Heres a picture of the vise in action 8)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC05510.jpg

I am not the best at explaining stuff so if you have anymore questions, fire away.

Jay

alaskanfish
12-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Very cool mod... I'll have to try that before investing a few hundred bucks!!!

Thanks

Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.dyna-king.com/images/products/vises/Trekker1.jpg

http://www.dyna-king.com/flyvise_dtl.asp?itemval=5&pv=0&pid=005

The Dyna King 'Barracuda Junior Trekker' @ $229 is pretty hard to beat.

Clamp or pedestal.

Hairstacker
12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Very cool mod Jay!

Bill, yep, those Dyna Kings have a sterling reputation -- everyone who own them seem to rave about them.

Matt Frey
12-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I really like my Dyna King 'Barracuda Junior Trekker'. Dyna King's customer service is great too. The material clip on mine broke. I called them and within 2 days I had a replacement in the mail free of charge.