PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it (skunked in the surf)

speedymitch
12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
This is my third time fishing the salt and first time in the surf (for Surf Perch). This is also 3 skunks for 3 outings in the salt. Clearly I'm missing something.

I had a great time and started to figure out the timing for keeping the fly in the 'sud zone'. I'm also starting to figure out how to cast my new 'switch' rod with one and two hands. However, I would rather have a great time, learn, AND catch fish...

I don't *think* the problem is my fly selection (#6 red and white lead head, etc from Ken Hanley's 'Surf Zone' book), casting (30' to 60' - in the suds behind the breakers), line (type 3 sink tip and shooting head w/ 8' sinking section), presentation (sink for 3-5 seconds then med-fast strip), or tide (3 hrs prior to high until high).

I think my problem is finding the fish. Where is the 'structure' at Stinson Beach? I know its considered passe to mention a specific location. Lets just say I fished the beach around the Patios. It all looks the same to me for a mile in either direction!

What am I missing?

Any suggestions, recommendations, and/or sympathies are greatly appreciated.

Mitch

Loren E
12-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey Mitch, if your problem is not finding any structure at stinson, wait for some good winter storms and go on the calm days after the storms. you will find deep holes, plus troughs, etc. we just need some winter storms to give the beach some more structure. Stinson can produce many many perch when conditions are right. tight lines -Loren

Darian
12-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey Speedy,.... Gotta be some nice fish around Stinson's. There're probably some Stripers (not many) in that area as well as BSP's..... Other than your casting, you didn't say what your tactics were. One thing you might try, if you're unable to identify/locate any "structure", etc., keep moving and casting until you run into some fish. 8) 8) 8) Don't give up and consider taking one of the surf clinics put on by Jay/Ken.... 8) 8) 8) It sure will shorten up the learning curve. :D :D :D

12-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey Mitch,

I agree with Darian - definitely keep moving up or down the beach until things change for the better. Stinson is a fine beach to fly fish (one of my many favorites around this time of the year). Some days can be more productive than others, sometimes for reasons known only to the fish. :D

Although the beach & surf can look pretty monotonous to the untrained eye, there are many subtle characteristics that can give away the fish's location. Here's a quick look at some surf features that I observed at Stinson about a year ago during a slacktide (probably pretty close to what you saw recently):

http://home.att.net/~surf.perch/photos/stinson.jpg

Besides the channels & troughs, the sandy flats at Stinson can be productive, especially if there's very little or no current flow - the perch often hang out in the suds during the tide changes.

Don't give up - you're on the right path towards angling enlightenment! :wink:

TL's

- Mark

sacreno
12-04-2006, 01:38 PM
LOL! I'll tell you what Mark. You do know your surf. Thanks for all the info from before and this answers a PM I was just writing you.

Good stuff on the treasure map!...LOL

Steve

Hairstacker
12-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Mark, that is really cool you posted an annotated map -- very helpful! I recognize you're primarily pointing out what to look for, rather than the details of a specific location. Nevertheless, it reminds me of one time I fished the American with David Lee. As we surveyed the water upon arrival, all I saw was the flat expanse of the water surface and various currents, etc. David then proceeded to point out for me every unseen boulder, hole, log, ledge, channel, etc., within viewing distance if you had had x-ray vision. It was very cool to witness a fellow fisherman's total familiarity with a piece of water.

The structure of all watery places changes from year-to-year and month-to-month to lesser or greater degrees depending, of course, on the types and magnitudes of forces they are subjected to. For those places whose larger structures (various water depths, locations of flats, points, rock walls, channels, etc.) don't tend to shift drammatically in the short-term (such as many areas of the Delta), such acquired knowledge can be invaluable and a real time-saver on future trips. 8)

Katz
12-04-2006, 03:33 PM
My favorite thing about the board is how willing everyone is to share information. 8)

It is so refreshing.

Thanks to all.

Kraig

k.hanley
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Say hey Mitch,
Thanks for the email. I sent you a response. Stay safe out there.
Cheeers, Ken

bruce mace
12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Rat bastard. Taught him everything he knows, including that 20 inch brown he's holding in his bio photo. Saltwater means the fish has VISITED saltwater. Looks like I am losing a loser... adios, my friend. :cry:

Speedy_Mitch
12-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Wow! Thanks everybody for the encouragement and information.

Bruce: how quickly you forget. YOUR Brown was only 20", MY Brown was BIGGER. :fish: