PDA

View Full Version : Rod wrapping question -

David Lee
12-02-2006, 09:36 PM
OR ....

Wod Wapping qwestion (Where's Elmer Fudd when ya need him ? :P )

My two main rods (Sage RPLX 7 and 8 wts.) have wrappings that are starting to look a little long in the tooth . Here's what I'd like to know -

1 - Will the company re-wrap the rods under the lifetime warrenty ??

2 - Can the factory wraps be duplicated by myself or a builder out there ??

3 - Does it matter how sorry they look , really ???

4 - If a guide goes bunk , should I send the rod back ????

Hope these Q's don't seem dumb - I'd like all the sections to match , lest I break one of them again .

Thanks !!

David :)

MSP
12-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey David, my responses are as follows:

#2 Yes

#3 No

As nice as you can tie a fly, I don't understand why you don't just take care of the guide problem yourself. Replacing a guide or re-wrapping a guide is probably easier than 90% of the flies you tie.

How did you put it?

Buck up man! :D

Darian
12-02-2006, 10:25 PM
David,.... I agwee with Mike on numba's 2 & 3. Numba won can onwy be answa'd by the wod maka'.... Numba foah is the same as numba won.... You see the circuwa wogic I'm usin' heah :?: :?:

At any rate, should you decide to do the job yourself, there's a wealth of knowledge about rod building/repairing on-line and on this BB. SOoooo, no problemo.

Signed,

Kwazy Wabbit :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
12-02-2006, 11:09 PM
David, I would recommend you check with the rod maker first to make sure anything you do does not invalidate the warranty.

I agree with Mike and Darian that the factory wraps can definitely be duplicated. If you want to do it yourself and get the color exact, you'll want to practice on something else first as thread colors darken and go translucent once you apply finish, unless you use a color preserver (which the factory likely did not do).

Hey, maybe this is the first step to get you into rodbuilding? :D

Paul B.
12-03-2006, 12:27 AM
I'd just send them back to Sage, but wait untill after steelhead season. It might take a month or so. If there is a charge above the normal shipping and handling I'll bet it's not much. Paul

PaulC
12-03-2006, 12:33 AM
I'd just send them back to sage. I'd call first to make sure they won't send you a different rod. The folks in repair are straight up. Worth the call to ask. I was worried on an RPLXi that had the cork handle wearing down due to the salt, and they informed they could repair the handle without going to an xi2. Too bad they don't make 9'6" xi2's. lol.
Its what you pay a premium for, use it when you have to.
-Paul

David Lee
12-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the input guys !!

I'll do just about anything to avoid rewrapping myself - I have too many other 'masters' to learn another bad habit .

I'll give 'em a call come spring :!:

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Sometimes people just put another coat of clear epoxy rod finish over the old?

Bring it sometime when I am at the shop and I can give you a better idea.