PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake Nov. 28 &29

Terry Thomas
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
We headed up to Eagle on the 27th of Nov. to find some pretty tough conditions. It had been snowing before we arrived and the temp. was on the low side. We had our guide, Bryan Roccucci, booked for the next two days. Bryan had a 23 ft. Boulton with a cover and heated cabin. Boy were we glad we were with Bryan and that super boat. We met "Big Daddy" at 6 a.m. and were greeted with a morning temp. of 12 F. and a wind of 5-15 mph. After leaving the Spaulding dock we headed across the lake and stayed in the Troxel and Bucks area. We did pretty well with 9 fish landed before 11 a.m. After that the wind really started up out of the north. We have fished Eagle many times before and had ice in the guides. However, on this trip the ice stayed in the guides all day and it did not help to dip the rods into the lake because they were still frozen when you pulled the rod back out. Needless to say, clearing your guides after every cast was not a fun experience. We did not have another grab the rest of the day...water temp. in the north end was 38.3 F. The next morning we were back at the dock at 6 and the temp. was just over 0 F. with a wind of 10-20 mph. The water in the dock area was totally frozen!
Without Bryan's 23 footer I don't believe we could have fished and I know there several other boaters who were quite happy that we did the "ice breaker" job. The lake was frozen out for @200 yds. We headed for the same areas as the day before. After making a few casts I noticed that my intermediate line was not sinking. The water was freezing as were began to fish. I knew we had to get out of there and head to the south end of the lake...the north end had dropped to 32.8 F. overnight! When we passed Pelican Point the water temp. had risen to 44 F.; pretty amazing! We went all the way to the south end and fished our way back through Warrior Pt. up to Shrimp Island...not a grab. Headed to the youth camp area and Bryan landed one. The forecast didn't look good so we headed home.

Hairstacker
12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Terry, that was a GREAT report, thanks! I have never been in a boat with a heated cabin but in this case it sounds like it might be necessary to stay alive. I sincerely admire your tenacity under the circumstances. 8) 8)