PDA

View Full Version : New fly rod from Redington

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2006, 11:51 AM
We just got in the new Redington "Super Sport" rod series in today.

They are the top series for Redington @ $449 USD.

They feel and look really nice and now with some design influence from their parent company Sage, the Redington rods are one of the top dollar values in the industry.

Most top US manufacturers top rods are at $600 plus now so $449 seems to be a good price point and a good value.

http://www.redington.com/images/product/Products/ProductImages/m/130.jpg

http://www.redington.com/Products/Product.aspx?pid=130

Tony Buzolich
11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
This really is a nice rod and it's similarities to the Sage Z Axis are amazing.

A few weeks ago Darin Elsmore (the Sage/Redington rep) let me cast both the Z Axis and the Super Sport together and if I were blindfolded I wouldn't be able to them apart. Both throw amazingly.

A few days later Darin sent me down a new Super Sport in a 9 weight to try out on the stripers in the delta." Take it out and go fish it" he says. See what you think?

Well, I've made three trips out with it and am very pleased. Smoothness would be the one word I'd use to describe the feel.

I still really like the Redington CPS though for it's lightness and very fast action.
TONY
www.feather-river-fly.com

Hairstacker
11-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Tony, I'm really curious about these rods and was wondering which weight Redington Super Sport you compared to the Z-Axis?

Also, could you comment how the Redington Super Sport compares to the Redington CPS? Thanks!

Tony Buzolich
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Darin let me cast everything he had when he came down but the only Z-Axis I cast was an 8 weight. This I was comparing to the Redington Super Sport also in an 8 weight. When he asked me what rod I liked to use the most for the delta, I told him a 9 weight mainly for throwing heads and larger flies. About a week later a #9 weight Super Sport arrived to try out as a demo. Stop by some time and we can go give it a shot on some stripers.

As for the comparison of the Super Sport to CPS :? boy, that's a tough one. They both act completely different and all I can say is the SS really lays out a 350gr. line beautifully.

As for the CPS, I just really like the lightness and the quickness. Using a floating line might make the CPS excel. I can't say anything negative about either rod and it simply boils down to each person's casting style.

Maybe we should take one of each out for demo and then trade off once in awhile. :D

Field testing new products is always a tough job. :lol:
TONY

Hairstacker
11-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Tony, thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on these rods, I really appreciate it! Yeah, field testing brand new model rods that most folks have never even seen must be JUST AWFUL, I don't know how you can stand it. :lol:

SteelieD
11-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I gotta say, the new Redingtons are some good looking rods. I have only "wiggle tested" them but they look and feel great! I am looking at several different weight rods, and I am very impressed by the Red Fly and the new RS3. Very good looking rods. At those prices I can have even more rods!! They were good before (my older Red Fly is one of my favorite casting rods), but even better now. Sage has done well by this brand.