PDA

View Full Version : Delta water temps dropping like a stone!

JerryInLodi
11-28-2006, 08:53 PM
I was out today for a couple of hours. The water temperature at 4:30 in the afternoon on the San Joaquin on an outgoing was a frigid 53. The water temps have dropped six to seven degrees in about two weeks. Brrrrrr, cold. The bite has been somewhat slower lately as well. Wonder why!

Betcha the bite would bust wide open with a small warming trend!

Slim1
11-28-2006, 09:15 PM
I was out today for a couple of hours. The water temperature at 4:30 in the afternoon on the San Joaquin on an outgoing was a frigid 53. The water temps have dropped six to seven degrees in about two weeks. Brrrrrr, cold. The bite has been somewhat slower lately as well. Wonder why!

Betcha the bite would bust wide open with a small warming trend!

Whats the Best temp range for stripers??

Slim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2006, 02:08 AM
It says it will be 30 degrees tonight in Davis, CA.

29 degrees tomorrow night.

Yahoo...........

WinterrunRon
11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
The cold blast of air changed my plans this week. I decided to fish the delta and give steelheading a week off.

Steelhead weather = 23 low/46 high.
Striper weather = 33 low/ 59 high.

Only 10 degrees difference but it's a big 10 degrees!

Back to steelheading next week.

JerryInLodi
11-29-2006, 07:44 PM
WinterrunRon, good to see you on the board. Ron and I fished together on his boat on the delta on Sunday, yes the day the rains came. Even so we did well with about twenty fish, the largest a five pounder by, yup, Winterrun Ron!

Water Temperatures:

As for striper temperatures. I looked for my "striper" books and must have them stashed somewhere. Since I can't give the "official" data on temperatures, I can only speak for myself.

I've found that water temperatures below 44 are generally tough fishing and temperatures below 40 are a pretty desperate situation with this one BIG EXCEPTION. When water temperatures are really low and a bright sunny day, maybe with a few clouds and air temperatures in the high sixties come along and the water warms by a couple of degrees in the afternoon are pure DY-NA-MITE in stimulating a ravenous striper bite. A lot of other factors come into play but if all of the others are "in line" then that one to two degree rise is a definite trigger. Cast and HANG ON!

WinterrunRon
11-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Jerry gave me credit for the biggest fish but he didn't mention he landed a few more and I did. It was pretty close but I think he probably landed 11 or 12 to my 8 or 9.

We had a great time even though the rain and wind showed up about noon or so. Tough day with the strong winds but we picked up a fish or two at just about every stop and managed to keep the fly out of the backside of each other (even though I had to pick Jerry's fly out of his back a few times!).

Ended the day with a last stop/last cast where Jerry said he's never caught a fish before... a few casts later... he had the last fish of the day on!

Delta water is in awesome shape, clean and clear, and it will stay that way as long as the big rains stay away. Last year, as I recalll, it was a mess, seemingly forever!

Ron

Hairstacker
11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Jerry seems to have a habit of understating his catching compared to anyone he fishes with. You really have to keep your eye on him about this to make sure he's not at the back of the boat unhooking fish without your knowledge. :lol: The flip side of this, of course, is he wants NOTHING more than for his fishing partner to have a GREAT day. :)