PDA

View Full Version : Sturmer's Bluegill Fly

JerryInLodi
11-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Here's the fly that Sturmer White tied for me that has been absolutely demolishing stripers. The first prototype is on the bottom. It looks rather shaggy, it should, its been responsible for over 50 stripers. The upper two are improvements (if the fly can really be improved on!)

http://ww1.pureupload.com/stfiles/309/sturmerfly.jpg

The flies are similar to the Erico Puglisi style flies. Being so impressed with Sturmer's fly, I ordered three dozen of the Puglisi flies. I haven't fished all of the styles I've ordered, just the chartreuse peanut butter and the new F 561 Ghost.

When fished up against the standard chartreuse clouser these flies seem to out fish it 5 to 1.

I understand that Bill has the Puglisi flies at his shop but I'm not sure which models.

I don't know what the flies are made up of but Erico sells the materials at his web site.

http://www.epflies.com/checkyourflyhome.html

For the guys getting together at Bill's shop, you'd do well in talking Sturmer into coming in and showing how to tie his bluegill pattern.

I'll bet big bucks that it's a deadly on LMB as it is on stripers. I know I've caught a bunch on the worn out one, the same one that landed all the stripers.

11-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Hey Jerry,

Really some good looking flies there! From the sounds of it, it is making quite a difference in your success rate compared to some of the other traditional patterns. I am going to head up to Bill's shop this afternoon and it would be nice to see someone tie up that pattern.

Couple pieces of news for you. I ordered a 4 piece redington fly rod on sale through Cabelas. It is not the exact model you have but lists for $180 and I got it for less than half that! I wanted to double check with you on what fly line you are using with your 9 weights?

I hope to firm up a date for you to take me and a friend out around Christmas time in the next week or so. In the meantime a friend and I will be going out in our kayaks in the next week or so during the middle of the week.

Best Wishes and Talk to you soon!

Bill

JerryInLodi
11-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Bill, the line you used was the Rio Striped Bass 26 foot density compensated in 350 grains. I can cast the whole 100 feet of this line and find that the intemediate running line very rarely fouls.

Bill mentioned another line on Blanton's board, I believe a S.A. version of the above and I think he mentioned a line selling at somewhere about $30, half the price of the Rio. You might talk to the people at the shop but for myself, I love using the Rio.

Write me before you head out in the kayak and I'll tell you some places where I've heard that the bite is better than others.

As for Sturmer's fly, every time I've matched it up against the "regulars" with Sturmer's fly on one rod and the regular on the other, the bluegill has accounted for more strikes.

Things could change with the water temperature, time of year, etc. but for now, I'm totally impressed.

I'm going out with "WinterrunRon" tomorrow and it will be the first fly I try.

jbird
11-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Jerry

After seeing the picture of the flies you posted, It reminded me of a similar fly I tied a couple years ago to simulate the yellow barred perch in a local lake. I bet they'd do allright for stripers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC03182.jpg

JerryInLodi
11-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Jay, it looks really similar to Sturmer's. What materials did you use to tie it. I don't think I have anything in my box to make an attempt. I'm thinking of ordering some stuff from Puglisi since I could tie specificly for the delta rather than go with his offered flies.

If you want to drop one in an envelope I'll be happy to fish it! :oops:

jbird
11-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Jerry

The sad truth is, I'm not sure where these flies ended up :oops: I know I never did use them and I havnt seen them anywhere. I'm kinda bummed because everytime I see this picture I WANT to find them. I'll just have to tie somemore. They are a mix of EP fibers and another similar, flashy sinthetic...like polar fibre. And of coarse a permanent marker.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Jay & Jerry,

I tied some blue gill patterns using the Wig hair. But they didn't come out like yours. On the smaller flies, I have to learn to use less material not like tying a huge saltwater pattern. I should of used the taperizing scissors but didn't think

My fly's went in the garbage

Jay

JerryInLodi
11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Jay, you need to get one of the Puglisi flies in your hand and look at the materials. They are very different, almost yarn like in some ways. Puglisi recommends that you carry a comb with you and comb the fly out several times during the day.

I fished the real Puglisi fly today and again outfished a clouser by about two to one. I'm becoming a real believer in this fly. If fishing with confidence is a path to success, the Puglisi Ghost is doing the job with me.