PDA

View Full Version : Zara Spook or Walking the dog

Jay Murakoshi
11-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Here's the first Zara Spook tied with deer hair on a tube. It's around 3 1/4" in length. Have you ever seen a Zara spook walking

Hell, my 12 year old black lab with arthritus can walk better than this Zara spook. But of course, I could only make a 35' cast in the pool so there wasn't much room to "walk the dog".

This one is definitly going to take alot of modifications and balance

More to come

Jay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/ZaraSpook1.jpg

Darian
11-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Jay,.... That's an interesting fly. From the placement of the rubber tubing on the eye of the hook, I guess you don't want the fly to slide up the leader.... :? :? Is the body portion about 1 1/2" in length??..... Cool stuff. Have you considered trying a shorter shank hook???

This fly and your hairy Crankbait fly, reminded me that these types of flies were tied by William F. Blades. He described them in Fishing Flies and Fly Tying (last published 1962). Blades used Deer Hair and other "stuff" to create articulated nymphs, minnows, hoppers, crayfish and the same flies on tubes. 8) 8) 8) He, also, attempted to create precise imitations in his efforts. :D :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
11-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Darian

The fly is close to 3". It took 62 or there about, stacks of spun deer hair. And that's not counting what I stacked on top to thicken the body. I will be trying a short shank hook, something like an egg hook or a live bait hook. It still needs some designing and balance work

I might tie up a White/Chartreuse for baja and see how long it will last. I'm guessing one needle fish would trim down everything.

Jay

PS.... If you are planning on making a trip to Baja this coming year, send me an email - I have information to get out to those who are signed up and to those who are thinking about it