PDA

View Full Version : elbows

Ed Wahl
11-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Seem to have developed a case of tennis elbow. I might just have to try and learn to cast left handed. Initial trials haven't been very encouraging though. Anyone else ever have to deal with this? Freakin tennis players, look what they've done. Ed

DocEsox
11-23-2006, 08:33 PM
You mean of course, "flyfishermans' elbow" just sounds better. I have a severe case this year of it too. Unfortunately rest is the best thing for it. Icing it when it gets sore and wearing a forearm strap on it helps. If it doesn't improve then next step would probably be have a cortisone injection....which can really help but can have some serious side issues also. Again resting it as much as possible.....just BACK AWAY from the flyrod...........

Brian

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Using a two-handed rod can take the pressure off of the main elbow and spread it to the other.

There are really small two-handed rods now too.

chemdoc
11-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I have had the same problem during the past year Ed. It's especially bad with an 8 wt. My doctor suggested a forearm strap to keep the tendons from moving around and it definitely helped. Sadly, the best cure is to rest the arm. Fortunately (or not), the rain last winter gave me that rest.

Phil

Ed Wahl
11-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks Phil, I'll try the forearm strap. The salmon run is either really late this year or so small that we better be worried about our run. Just gotta grit my teeth and keep checking it a couple times a week for a few more weeks then I can rest the elbow for a few months. A 10wt aint no picnic on the elbow right now. I think the rest of my winter will be bird hunting and fly tieing, that's not so bad either. I've got some creeks to show you next summer that I think you'll like. Ed

Jay Murakoshi
11-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Ed,

Stop by and see me at the show or sometime in Kiene's. I'll show you a tennis/flyfishermen's elbow. And it's on my left elbow. I had surgery on my right elbow this past spring and now it's fine. The left one could be in for the knife.

Jay

Darian
11-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi Ed,.... Besides being a fly caster, I'm a serious Racquetabll player and have had tennis elbow (tendonitis) many times. Each time I was able to recover from it with a combination of resting the enflamed tendon, using an anti-inflammatory medication (Ibuprofen, Aspirin, etc.) and strengthening the muscles surrounding the tendon. I've tried the adjustable forearm support sleeve without much success. It helps while using the support but the instant you take it off the pain re-occurs. Something you might consider is using the casting analyzer at Kiene's. We all pick up bad habits while casting and that may be contributing to the problem.... Icing is good after exercise/use, warming up before. 8) 8)

In my own experience, strengthening the surrounding muscles is what will reduce the tendency of the tendon to become enflamed again. It's a lengthy process but better than using cortizone injections which can have some uninteresting, long term side affects. :? :?

Good luck :D :D

Ed Wahl
11-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Jeez Jay, are you trying to scare me? Darian, I've read that thats what it'll take. Stopping casting right now is hard though. Of course, the pain aint that good either. Thanks guys. Ed

chemdoc
11-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Next summer sounds great Ed. At least we can use small rods for those streams. If you find a good cure for the elbow, let us know. Mine had been doing well lately, but rowing my friend's drift boat recently took a toll.

Phil

590Mike
11-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Ed give Bowen therapy a try. I am a Student practitioner and have had great results on frozen shoulders and lower back pain.I will be taking my elbow and wrist review the second week of December. I haven't taken the exam so there won't be any charge. The treatment takes about 45minutes to an hour and from what I have been told two or three treatments a week apart usually resolve the issue.Drop me line if you are interested.

Terry Thomas
11-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Ed,
You can add me to the list of "fly fisher's elbow." Sorry to say that it was with me for a least 6 months. The forearm pressure strap helped me the most. The one that worked the best for me was out of the Harringtons catalog. I can't remember the name, however, it has a "Z" on it. It is elastasized(sp?) with a plastic part inside to hit the pressure point on your elbow. It got me through the season. I think going to the gym and working with light weights also helped the situation.
T.

PaulC
11-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey Ed,
Another remedy you might want to try to help alleviate some of the joint pain is pineapple juice. I used to consume that stuff quite a bit when I was heavy into climbing and one of my joints got torqued. It was usually on an inverted crack route where your body weight really wrenches on the joints.

It is one of the only natural sources of bromelain, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
Worked for me to help accelerate the healing process and get back on the rock.
-Paul

lee s.
11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Ed,
We had that once. Could only toss a 5wt at the time. Ours was "cured" by imobilizing, somewhat, with a brace, the wrist. It was the motion of useing a hammer, at the wrist, that caused our problem in the elbow. Go figure....? :?
....lee s.

Sturmer White
11-26-2006, 07:18 PM
OK! Ed
here is one more idea for you.
I had tennis elbow for a long time.
I went to Dr.Sam Won in Roseville. A few needles,
three treatments and a little heat and it was gone period.
Good luck
Sturm

Rob
11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I had it once :( and I stopped casting for 1 month and stopped casting anything over a 5wt for the next 6 months and it went away and I have not had any problems since . :D But I only use my 7 wt about a day or two a year !! :shock:

Ed Wahl
11-27-2006, 05:36 PM
That's pretty much my plan. Thanks to all for the advice everyone. Lucky for me the rainy season is upon us and the temptations to fish are gonna get few and far between. Darian told me I'll have to start working with small weights once the condition heal up to prevent it from recurring. I've already started, I'm doing reps of 12oz. I can do this all day and most of the night. I love rehab. :wink: