PDA

View Full Version : Video Question

Jay Murakoshi
11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I have a technical video question for the video oriented out there.

I have a GL1 Cannon mini DV camera and want to capture the video from the tapes to the hard drive on my computer or better yet to a DVD-RW.

The instructions say connect the camera to the computer. Now the question.... What kind of cable is needed. I have one that will connect from the camera to a VCR.

I have a bunch of fishing tapes I want to start editing but can't figure this thing out.

The editing program I have is NERO 7. Which was suppose to be one of the top programs

TIA

Jay

alaskanfish
11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Jay,

Do you have a USB, or Firewire port on your computer? Also, was your video recorded in digital or analog? This is very important to determine. I have found that many "digital" cameras record naturally in analog and require special settings/tape to record digitally. If digital, when you connect the camera, it will look like an external drive andyou can simply transfer the file. If you recorded analog, you will need some sort of video capture device that will receive the analog signal and convert it to digital. Typically, these devices will have the RCA connections like you would connect to your VCR.

Hope that helps...

Ed

Jay Murakoshi
11-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Ed,

I have a USB port. How can you tell if it was recorded in digital or analog?
I have a cabel that hooks to the camera that has one plug for the camera and 3 (yellow, red, white). There's no way it will hook up to a USB port.
I bought the cable from a video store and it will play through the TV and I think it will play through a VCR.
Sounds like I need to buy a cable for the camera and USB port - right?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

alaskanfish
11-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Tristan is correct. I hate to recommend this, but you may have to review the owner's manual (if you don't have one, check online...most are available) to determine how to tell if camera was setup for digital or analog. My assumption is that most cameras default to analog, therefore you will need some sort of video capture device. It means spending more bucks, but I believe that you can pick up a Dazzle USB capture device for around $100 Click here for sample/idea (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4157&CatId=1428)

With this device, you can plug your red, white, and yellow cable and record from your camera to your computer, thus converting your analog video to digital. At that point you can begin the edit process. Likewise, with this device, you can record from other video devices, like vcr, dvd, or tv.

Good luck.

Jay Murakoshi
11-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks - Tristan and Ed. I'll pull out the owners manual and read it. Hopefully the local camera store will have a cable

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
11-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Ed & Tristan,

I went to Best Buy this morning and talked with the guys in the video section and the GEEK squad.
Here's what they told me. Two ways you can do it. USB cable or Firewire.
Firewire is the best way to copy the video's because with USB you have compression and will lose clarity or something like that.

So now I guess I need a firewire port and need to purchase a firewire cable. What's the best... PCS or laptop connection.

Is there a big difference in purchasing a high priced compared to a Best Buy product. I guess it's sort of like a $650.00 compared to a $250.00 rod

Jay

alaskanfish
11-22-2006, 06:10 PM
The difference between firewire and usb is not that you have to compress any differently or suffer resolution degradation, it is just that firewire is much quicker transferring files. If you desire to go firewire and have to install a card, a PCS card is way easier for your laptop. This is a credit card sized device that slides into a receiver on your laptop, assuming that you have one.

If you have a desktop, installing a pci IEEE 1394 firewire card. This is a lot like buying a reel... there is value to buying the higher priced components, however the lower priced components will get you by.

Did the GEEK SQUAD person indicate if you recorded in analog or digital? Or did they instruct you on how to record in digital?

I would definitely not let the person up-sale you on something that you don't need. Certainly the firewire is good, but the USB will work fine in my opinion.

Ed

Eugene Graham
11-22-2006, 08:41 PM
The Canon GL1 is a great Prosumer camera. I actualy use this same camera at work. I believe this camera does not have a USB port. You will have to use firewire. If you are looking for some good prices on the card and cables, you may try cyberguys.com , newegg.com, or tigerdirect.com .