PDA

View Full Version : Big Stripers Close to Home

Tony Buzolich
11-20-2006, 01:31 PM
For all of you good ol' local boys (David Lee, et al), I just got a call from Jim Jones from Western Outdoor News calling for the most recent fishing report for our area. I spoke to him about our recent trip to the delta for stripers and told him I'd heard about other successes this week at Verona.

We talked for a while about the stripers showing this high up in the system so early in the season and thought it might be a bit of a fluke.

For whatever reason, we've been getting a few big stripers being brought in to our shop for weighing and pictures. Most of these are being taken by guys fishing for salmon using small Gibbs Minnows.

The real teaser here is what Jim said about a Lake Washington tournament held yesterday. The winning fish came in at 38 1/2lbs. :shock:

Now, I know you guys have been hitting it in your float tubes and kayaks and not doing much, but you need to get SERIOUS about this area. These are BIG fish we're talking about in your own backyard. And, if they're being taken around Verona and Yuba City, there's got to be some fresh fish going up the American as well.

Now,,,,,, if any of you know a good ramp for boat access to the Lake Washington area (no mud bank slip&slides) I'll be there tomarrow rain or shine :P
TONY
www.feather-river-fly.com

Darian
11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi Tony,.... Years ago when I fished the harbor area, I had a membership in the Lake Washington Outboard Club. They had private access to a concrete launch ramp just outside the entrance to Lake Washington and I had a key to the gate. 8) 8) Haven't used the key in many years (in fact I don't think I could find it, now :oops: ).

The launch ramp is the same used by the rowing teams for their races. The last time I checked, I couldn't find the driveway to the launch area.... :? :? Guess I'm gonna have to do some scouting in the next few days.... 8) 8)

David Lee
11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the heads-up there , Tony .

I'm planning a Wednesday trip .... if anyone would like to join me :idea:

David

JerryInLodi
11-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Tony, is it possible these fish never left the upper river and just weren't rediscovered until the salmon fishermen started up?

Tracy Chimenti
11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
hey Tone,
I've often wondered if you could put in on the "tule canal" that runs north/south from I-5 (veteran's bridge), south to West Sac and appearing to dump into lake wash and the turning basin, you just might have it. It's at least 8-miles (one way) so you gotta ask yourself... do you want it REAL bad? You could get gas and burgers right off the slough.

I did hear about the lower Feather producing some nice fish on bait. The lower end around Nicholaus has certainly changed. Water looks good though.

Tracy

Tony Buzolich
11-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey Jerry,

You hit some of it right on the head. Yes, there are resident stripers in the Feather that don't migrate, just as there are resident stripers in the American and I'm sure elsewhere throughout the river system.

But what I am hearing is that there are also a lot of little bait stealers around too. Now, these little guys I don't think stay around through summer and fall. I do believe that the bigger resident fish stay and feed on anything they can put in their mouth, and because of their size they can accomodate a much larger choice of food from the available supply be it steelhead smolt, squawfish, suckers, shad, trout, crayfish, lampreys, and even their own kind. Yes, they are cannibalistic.

The area around Verona has come alive recently but I never thought of it as a holding area for a good food supply. It seems to be more of a staging area for moving fish to decide which river to head up.

TONY

JerryInLodi
11-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Tony, I think our west coast stripers are just adapting to changing conditions. They appear to be a relatively smart and resilient fish in "fitting in" to their environment. After all they had no problem when introduced from the east coast and have since expanded or contracted their range as conditions and water quality have allowed.

I have a lot of literature on east coast stripers and comparing weights, our fish out west seem to have developed into a leaner (and meaner?)shape than their eastern cousins.

Their only faults are their aggressive nature and somewhat predictable habits which are costing them their brood stock in large numbers. Of course those same two characteristics are great for the fisherman.

If only more of the people that fished for these great fish would adopt the philosophy of the current bass fishermen, that of "letting them go" after catching them, we could have a true world class fishery. One that would bring as many fly fishers to California as currently travel to Florida and Montana.

Perhaps that's the way we should try to sell DFG on a striper management plan. Out of state income. That of big bucks for the state in tourism and economic gains centered around the tourist/sport fishing industry similar to Montana and Florida. They don't seem interested at all in just providing quality fishing for the current residents of this great state.

Tony Buzolich
11-22-2006, 11:40 AM
As ideal as it may sound I don't think California will ever become a tourist destination for striped bass. New England and upper east coast, yes.

As long as the powers to be keep sending water south we will continue to struggle trying to keep or maintain what natural resouses there are.

Everything seems to be centered around the need for water. The farmers on the Klamath or in the San Joaquin or Imperial Valleys need water. The exploding population coming across the border needs water. We here in Northern California need water. Everybody needs water.

The sad part of it is our natural resources and wildlife need it too. And this includes striped bass. Though they may not have been native to our area originally, they are now. They've been growing and breeding here a lot longer than you and I have. Heck, we weren't native here either until we expanded and developed the country. Now, it's getting to the point of push and shove and whoever is the weakest gives in, and in this case it's the wildlife.

As long as we can try to continue good conservation practices, encourage catch and release, create slot limits, we may be able to hold on just a little longer.

I take a few once in a while for dinner, but for the most part I take a picture of my catch. Memories of a good day will last a lifetime. :)

TONY

Frank Alessio
11-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Tony....

Just think how much fun it would be to fish the Afterbay if there were Stripers in that shollow water fishery... And close to home Too. Happy Thanksgiving...... Frank

JerryInLodi
11-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Tony, do the shad still swim in a big circle in the afterbay? It used to be neat to fish there on the bank. The shad circle school would swim counterclockwise. Looking at the dam from the shore, the guy at the six o'clock position would stick fish and it would work up the line until the 2 o'clock guy at the top of the line stuck fish. In one pass about eight to ten guys would all be hooked up. Great fun!

11-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Jerry,

Happy Thanksgiving to both you and Jeanette! Hope all is well with both of you and you are enjoying this beautiful day. It is georgeous up here with sparkling clear skies. Getting ready to head up to my Sisters to spend the rest of the day with family and friends.

Say, I have been talking to a lefty (fly fisherman) about joining me with you on the delta that first week in January. He is interested and asked if there would be any problem with us both being able to fish from your boat. I said I didn't see any and would check with you as well. I also gave him a link to your web site. Do you have to do a lot of ducking out there when you have a couple guys you are guiding?

Best wishes and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Bill

JerryInLodi
11-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Bill, the boat, being 22 feet long, is PERFECT for two people. I usually station myself on the gunnel on one side or the other of the center console. That way I can watch both casters and the trolling motor, our position in the water and what the boat's doing with the current.

Actually, even with beginners, I've been lined a few times but never been struck by a fly. If left and right hand casters it works out perfectly. If both right, I usually ask the better caster to work the back since there are a few more obstructions there and a little less room.

If the weather holds for the next month, the Christmas break ought to produce some OUTSTANDING fishing. Not that the fishing's not absolutely great now. It really is. What's missing is the numbers of big fish that were available in the past but its made up for with a number of 4-7 pounders that will put you into your backing.

GUYS, I hesitate to post because of the idea that I may be "trolling" for clients but believe me, if you have ANYTHING that floats, float tube, pontoon boat, kayak, rowboat, bass boat, 40 foot yacht, GO FISHING NOW! The winds have been almost non-existent. The fish have been willing. The water temperatures (57 degrees) still warm enough to provide for some HOT runs.

The delta is one of the greatest fisheries on the west coast. With some effort from DFG it could be one of the leading World Class fisheries. Again, go fishing NOW!

Tony Buzolich
11-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Psssssst,,,,,,,, Frank,,,,, there are! :)

TONY

Tony Buzolich
11-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Jerry, I'm not familiar with shad in the afterbay at Oroville. They do come all the way up to the outlet at Thermolito.

Are you referring to the shad in the afterbay at San Luis?
TONY

JerryInLodi
11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Tony, I'm not familiar enough with the area to know exactly what I'm talking about. I know we used to drive up 70 to Oroville and right before we arrived we'd turn left into some nature area type thing. We'd fish at a small dam or weir with a large basin below it. Guys would crowd around the the west side of the bottom of the dam and cast spinners for salmon but we'd fish on the other side of the basin, casting our fly rods for shad and nailing them when they came by.

I could probably find it again but don't' have a clue what its name was! Maybe Thermalito Forebay/Afterbay?

Tracy Chimenti
11-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Tony?... you don't mean to say that water is the key this whole dang thing?! I thought you just needed gravel for spawning, like on the Trinity (ten years ago)! Just think what will happen if some day they re-call all of that water from the Trinity River that gets diverted to the Sac!? I guess the Trinity will be the hot spot and I hope I'm alive to see it happen. The ecology of the Sac on the other hand, will no doubt change for the worse unless we re-call ours! Boy it sure is a small world.

Hey, back on this fishing thing... I bet you a kayaker could put in in West Sac with no problem and be in fish in a half-hour-- paddling briskly that is. In fact, I think I just my try it in my sit-on-top some time-- whenever that may miraculously occur!

Tracy

Tony Buzolich
11-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Jerry,
It sounds like you were at the outlet where the mainflow joins the lowflow and becomes one river again.
Yes, this is Thermolito, aka the War Zone, the Outlet, the Hell Hole, etc, anything you want to call. Just stay away from there when things really get going with the salmon.
Sometimes there are two lines deep of guys casting over the shoulders of each other. Fights break out often and arguments as constant. It seems like somebody is always getting knifed or shot or killed there because of all the tangled line mess these guys create. Piles of beer cans, trash, people camping and living in their cars, shootings, it's a real Hell Hole. Even the authorities stay away after one got shot there last year.

Sometimes I'll park on the other side of the river and have lunch and just watch the show.

Sometimes there are a dozen or more boats there all vying for a spot in the main currant too. Running over lines, guys from bank casting and hitting the boats with big Gibbs Minnows, fights break out all the time.

Quite a circus at times. Just give yourself plenty of distance if you ever go up to see the show.
TONY