PDA

View Full Version : Lake Del Valle

slage
11-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Went out yesterday to chase some stripers around after reports of a 20lber caught recently. I don't have very much experience fly fishing lakes so a new challenge was met with excitment.
We cast big clousers for a while on sink-tips without any love. Made our way to the West, near the dam and set up on the rock croppings to end the day.
I switched from a baitfish to the only rogue nyphm that somehow made its way into the streamer box. Ugly, beadhead, caddis emerger-something, size 8.
Threw a cast back up next to the shore, let the current and weight of the head sink and give movement. Bam!
Wha?...hey, there's a pull at the end of my line...what does that mean again?
Surprised as the fish, I stood up, set the hook and was playing the first lake trout I have ever tangled with.
Few minutes later, we had him in the boat, whew!!
Luckily my skipper had a phone/ camera and my wife finally believes I do actually go fishing.
Can't tell by my smile I was a little shocked, huh? :D

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slage/untitled.jpg

Adam Grace
11-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Good for you Scott.

Hairstacker
11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Nice fish Scott! I'd say by your smile that you were very pleasantly surprised and happy. :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Andy Guibord catches Steelhead and Salmon at times in the Lower American River while throwing Clouser streamers for Stripers.

I guess it is always a little shocking?

sacreno
11-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Nice job bud....

Sturmer White
11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey Bill
That salmon I hooked in the Delta the other day, took a bluegill pattern.
You just never know. That fly caught the catfish also.

dtp916
11-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Way to go! :D :D :D

I'm trying to figure how I can sneak away for a day and catch some Lake Trout in the shallows of Tahoe this winter. I hear the big boys will tow you around in a canoe. 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
11-21-2006, 08:18 AM
James -

Check your PM .

David