PDA

View Full Version : Wintertime tying/BSing at the shop ??

David Lee
11-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Anyone keen on the idea ??

Sound like fun Bill ???

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Any day and any time.

Saturday ? Sunday?

We have the table out front we can clean off for that any time.

..........thanks David

mark
11-17-2006, 09:41 AM
I could be in for that.......

-MK

Sturmer White
11-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Soory guys! No talk.
Staurday is my first day to go fishing this month.
And you know what comes first.
Heading out with Jerry and larry to kick some bass ass.
Yeah!

Hairstacker
11-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I will sure make it if I can, depending on day and time. Group tying sounds like fun, as I've never tied around anyone else before.

David Lee
11-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Sturmer -

Good luck !!

Fellow Tyers -

November 25 AND 26 . I'll be happy to demo whatever anyone wants to see .... then , on to the group-thingie .

Late afternoon good w/ everybody ??

David

P.S. - Please PM your fly ideas to me for the demo , if you have something specific in mind .

OregonSalmon
11-17-2006, 12:08 PM
B.S. in a fly shop...never heard of such a thing.
Bill used to have a fly tying table in his previous shops and good lord we made a mess of it. Shoot sometimes we would just pull something off the wall, not pay for it, and tie. We were terrible. Bill, I apologize for our poor form. In my defense Bill, I never brought any severed fish heads into the shop.

Sturmer White
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
David
I would like to see you tye the yellow belly sap sucker.
I am sure it will be a beautiful thing.

JerryInLodi
11-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Sturmer, glad to see your ready. I sure am!

Guys, you NEED to get Sturmer to the bench. He ties a Puglisi style bluegill pattern that is incredible. I fished it last Sunday vs. a serious fly fisher in my boat and out caught him FIVE to ONE!!!!!!!

Wednesday I took the fly out to give it a comparison test. I fished the Sturmer Bluegill vs my SuperFlashtail Woolly Bugger vs. a standard chartreuse/white flashtail clouser. I fished the same water three times. Note, I mixed the flies on each pass. Score for the three passes:

Sturmer Puglisi style bluegill - four stripers
SuperFlashtail Woolly Bugger - one striper, one LDR
Flashtail clouser - zip, zero, nada, nothing, zilch.

Oh, I should also add. If MIke (Hairstacker) shows up, don't let him in unless he's brought his LMB flies. They are truly works of art. My shaggy deer hair flies are so crude I was embarrassed to even take them out of the box. If you want to learn to stack hair, get Hair stacker to do a session!

PaulC
11-17-2006, 10:35 PM
You guys are making me wish I was closer or at least not homebound this far south.
Maybe next year I can cruise up for something like that. Would be nice to tye and have a beer with you guys.
Have fun and tye one on for me.
-Paul

mike N
11-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey Jerry or Strumer,

How about a picture of the BG pattern? Inquiring minds want to know.

MN

Charlie Gonzales
11-17-2006, 11:18 PM
I would like to sit in for a spell. With enough guys we could do a fly swap.

JerryInLodi
11-17-2006, 11:46 PM
You'll have to get one from Sturmer. Mine is so badly chewed it looks like a puff of rag on a hook now. Amazingly, it still catches fish. Hopefully Sturmer will bring some more tomorrow and I'll take care to preserve one for photographs.

Charlie, last Saturday was really TOUGH fishing. You did well. Did you catch most of your fish in the afternoon?

Hairstacker
11-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks Jerry! I would be totally remiss if I didn't point out that David Lee who started this thread ties some of the nicest hair bugs I've ever seen. He gave me a topwater frog pattern at the last bassfest that was just gorgeous -- absolute mastery of precise placement of multiple deer hair colors. 8) 8) 8) I'll try to remember to bring that one.

We can certainly get into deer hair at the session if anyone's interested. In fact, that's probably what I'll be playing with.

David Lee
11-18-2006, 10:11 AM
YES !!

Tap's Bugs ........ :thumbsup:

What day can you make it Mike ??

Ed Wahl
11-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Never tied bass bugs. Now might be the time to learn. Ed

Jay Murakoshi
11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
If this tying schedule can go into January, I think I can make it to the shop prior to the Sacramento show. I'll be doing to club presentations prior to that so I'll be in the area. Not doing any presentations at the ISE Sacramento show this year, due to rearrangment of the show schedules.
Heck, I might even try for a day in December

I could tie up the Hairy Crank Bait fly and maybe some Deer hair rip baits.
Got some pretty rigid plastic for the diving bills and now trying to figure out how to make a cutter (like the crease fly cutter) so I can mass produce them

Jay

Ed Wahl
11-19-2006, 08:19 PM
They use the Hairy Crank a lot up by the Feather. :D

Hairstacker
11-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Well, I broached it with Bill, and he thought it would be great for me to go ahead and hereby extend an invitation to any of the board members out there who've never tied flies before but are interested and would like someone to introduce them to it. If so, I'll bring an extra vise and materials to the "Shop BS/Tying Session" next weekend, and we can tie some simple fly patterns side-by-side. I can introduce you to all the tools, provide basic introductory instructions and tips, as well as discuss any and all questions you might have. All for free of course, as I just think it would be a lot of fun. Just think, you'll get to hang out with some of the fellas from this board AND go home with flies to try out that you've tied yourself! :D

As I think most fly tyers would agree, there is real pleasure in catching fish on flies you've tied yourself. Fly tying also provides another avenue to enjoy the sport on those days or evenings when you just can't make it out to the water for whatever reason. Then, there's always the creative outlet as well for those who like to tinker. Lastly, there are some great fly patterns out there that are very difficult or impossible to find for sale but, in many cases, are easily tied by someone who has picked up the craft. Anyway, if anyone's interested, please post so I will be sure to bring the right stuff. :)

Adam Grace
11-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Good idea Mike! Too bad that I can't make it down for the BSing.

SteelieD
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Wish I could make it! I just starting tying (with Adam's old vice so I know it's got some good karma!). I would love to see some of the experts at work. Have fun!!!

sacreno
11-20-2006, 04:45 PM
PM'd you David...thanks

David Lee
11-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Looks like Saturday and Sunday , November 25 & 26 - 2:00 P.M. , until close (5:00 P.M.) .

Please ..... if you're a beginner , or just learning .... COME IN !! It's a great chance to get some FREE tying tips , and Bill Kiene has a standing 10% discount for fly tying goodies both days !!

Feel free to sign-in here and let us know who's going to make it (totally optional ...) .

This should be fun !!!

mike N
11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
sheesh!

I just spend a boat load on tying material last weekend. I could have got a discount this weekend?

Maybe I'll drop by and say hello. It will be nice to put a few names with a few faces.

MN

David Lee
11-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Drag a vise along Mike ..... it'd be neat to see what you tye for the American :!:

Hairstacker
11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Well, I won't be able to make it on Sunday, but I will be down for all afternoon Saturday for sure. :D

OregonSalmon
11-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Well boys sorry I can't meet you there at Kiene's due to some Homeland Security issues I seem to have incurred. From the police report, apparently I was in a mosque and yelled out I was "going to fly fish in the building". Could have been some drinking involved too. Not sure since I was drunk at the time. Suffice it to say, the police came involved in the matter and editied my statement to be some horrible plot. The Muslims weren't happy with my drinking either so I really didn't have a dog to fight for me. They took everything from me but my shellfish license. A shovel and a crab pot can do wonders.
Tie away boys and have a great time. Think tubes. Wave of the past and future. I think I have the magic bullet for flies but since I can't walk the 665 miles to Kiene's I'll just keep it.

JerryInLodi
11-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Oregon Salmon. so the wife won't let you play that day? Nice try on the mosque thing.

OregonSalmon
11-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Jerry,
Wife? What wife? I'm a stinkin' fish bum!!! A little theft from Groucho Marx; "I wouldn't marry the woman that would have me for a husband".
You guys ought to expirement with some tube flies. Someone must have tied one down there. It's a great idea. Brass tubes are spendy to practice on so you can use plastic which a plastic q-tip works just fine.

11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Hey David, Bill and all,

Glad I checked in today and got wind of this fly tying and BSing session planned for this weekend! Sounds like a lot of fun and I will definitely come on by Saturday for sure. Look forward to meeting a number of folks on this board I do not know.

Best Wishes and Happy thanksgiving to all :)!

Bill

Hairstacker
11-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Great Bill, looking forward to meeting you. Sounds like a few fellas are going to show up. Kind of surprised no one's posted with interest in getting a free hands-on introduction to fly tying. Guess it could be a lot of folks are tied up with family in town for Thanksgiving. . . .

11-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey Mike,

Likewise, looking forward to meeting you as well! I always enjoy reading your informative and friendly posts to the board :) . See you there!

Bill