PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for some advice.

DBrown
11-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I am fairly new to fly fishing, and new to the Sacramento area as well. I am aware that a lot of trout streams have recently closed for the season.
I am looking for some advice on local streams and rivers to fish that are still open, and fairly local. Any help, guidance, directions.. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D. Brown

sacreno
11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the communiity! What type of fishing are you looking to do? Trout, Steelehead, Salmon, Striper Bass/Pan fish? We've got it all! I've been fishing for Steeleheads on the American. If you do go, make sure your below the powerlines @ Ancil Hoffman park (look the park up on mapquest.com).

Many people here will help you but your best bet is to get to Kiene's Fly Shop on Marconi Ave and talk with them. Bill, Marilyn and the crew are awesome! They can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Steve

DBrown
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I have mainly only fished for trout.. I am open to trying my hand at steelhead. Wouldn't have the first clue what to do though.. Where to go.. Flies etc.. any advice??

Darian
11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
DBrown,.... In addition to this BB community, it might be worth your time to go to or call Kiene's Fly Shop for some hands on advice from the guys in the shop. the time spent will cut down on the learning curve. 8) 8) 8)

millertime
11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Hello and welcome- Like the post before me, get your butt into Kiene's fly shop and start chatting with any of the employees there. I just started getting back into fly fishing the last few months after a long break (7 years) and without their help I think I'd probably already given up. Not only do they give you ideas on where to fish, they draw you a damn map so it's impossible to get lost. Jeff Putnam got me started on this Steelie kick i've been on for the last 2 months and although I have only landed 2 in about 20 hours of fishing it's got me going out to the river every chance I get. Them steelie kick the crap out of them small creek rainbows i got used to growing up. So take the time and cruise into the shop, you won't be dissapointed. BTW Jeff that Sage SLT 796 you set me up with is awesome. And if you ever need some company out on the river send me an e-mail, I'd be happy to go explore some new places around the town. Good luck DBrown....

Jeff Putnam
11-17-2006, 03:20 PM
DBrown, glad to hear. Should be an awesome fight with the SLT.
Every fly angler should be gearing up for the winter steelhead run on the American. They're hot, exciting and will really test your gear. Best of all there right here in our backyard. Please remember not to fish over spawning steelhead.
Within the next few weeks I would take your "metal detectors" to the lower river around Paradise Beach and Watt Ave. See ya out there!

dtp916
11-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Welcome :D

There are several places to fish for trout over the winter, most popular is Putah Creek. You'll be fishing tiny midge patterns in deep water under an indicator. Make sure you freeze your waders/boots as Putah has NZ mud snails...

And as everyone has mentioned, head over to Kiene's and make some new friends 8) 8) 8)

Rob
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I sent you a PM.