PDA

View Full Version : Putah 11/15

Katz
11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Took the wife and kids out to the upper stretches of Putah. Fish for about 1 1/2 hrs around the bridge. Landed three fish under 10" that all took small blood midge.

Then came the monster. The best part of this fish was having an audience. Indicator went down and the first thing I felt was incredible head action, those long pulls where you can just see the fish in you mind with its mouth open thrashing back and forth. I yelled to the kids that I had a good one and they both came to stand next to me. My wife even looked up from her book. I started saying to myself, "jump, please jump". About five seconds later this fish come about 2 feet out of the water, does a full cartwheel and makes a 10 point, head first entry back into the water (almost no splash). Both kids and the wife say in stereo "Oh my God!". The fish was easily 6lbs and well over 24 inches. (also took the red midge)

Unfortunately no pic because about 2 minutes later the hook came out and ended up 10ft over my head in a tree..... That's Putah.

Having the audience for that jump almost makes up for not getting a picture. :?

Enjoy :)

Kraig

sacreno
11-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Nice! What size bug #18?

Katz
11-16-2006, 12:07 PM
#20 red midge.

I think green, black and red all work well. The key is being there when it turns on. You can fish a small stretch for a long time with nothing and then all the sudden they are there. Two casts before hooking the large fish I told my son it was getting good and to get ready with the net.

Kraig

Hairstacker
11-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey Kraig, great report, love those kind of blow-by-blow accounts! Made me feel like I was there. 8) 8) 8)

SteelieD
11-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Putah is fun when it's on! Great report!

sacreno
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
TY Katz....We are going to try it very soon and I need all the help I can get on that river.

Katz
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys. I like reading the blow-by-blow reports too. Feels like I'm fishing from the office.

sacreno - make sure your drift is near the bottom. should be pulling moss off the flies regularly.

Yellow eggs are good right now. The color of this guy :)

Try an egg or SJ worm with something very small behind it.

Good luck.

Kraig

sacreno
11-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Awesome! When does it change to BL Hooks and catch & release?

Katz
11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Yesterday! :D

Thats another good excuse for LDRing the big guy. 8)

Kraig

Adam Grace
11-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Nice report Katz. There are some nice pigs in Putah. I've only fished it twice, no pigs for me. I leave Putah to you Bay Area guys. Good luck with your next trip.

Paul B.
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Quote: That's Putah. I'll bet I've said that a hundred times. I think the hogs up there are getting smarter all the time. It took going down to a 6X tippet to draw a strike from a two foot bow last week with an elk hair caddis and all I could say was oh well that's Putah when it took me down to backing and around a stump.....Ping!!!! PB[/quote]

Katz
11-17-2006, 10:02 PM
We may have to make a shirt with that:

"Thats Putah!"

A guy tied in knots around trees, line you cant see and huge fish laughing at you. :cry:

But man! Those few seconds as they are taking you into your backing are pretty exciting.

Kraig

Paul B.
11-21-2006, 08:35 PM
It just occured to me on the way to creek today that we should probably change the name of the creek before printing up a bunch of shirts. Might offend a few people......Or draw a few laughs. Why did they call it putah anyway?
Cheers, Paul

Matt Frey
11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Found this at http://www.cacreeks.com/putah.htm

Anyone who has studied Spanish knows that puta means “whore” (though not in the official dictionaries). California history books, despite boring us with tales about gold miners despoiling the environment, are remarkably silent on the Putah Creek issue. Locals in Winters say the Vaqueros used to take young native women to keep their fires going, and return them pregnant the following spring. Ethnographers inform us that Putah is a Spanish spelling of a Wintun settlement name: Poota-to means people living along this creek [A.L. Kroeber, Handbook of the Indians of California, 1925,1953,1967]. Later authors say Puta Wuwwe was a Lake Miwok name for grassy creek [California Place Names, UC Press, 1998, page 304].

Adam Grace
11-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Matt are you calling Putah Creek A WHORE! :shock: :lol:

Paul B.
11-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I think when you add the h at the end it makes it Ok to use. Maybe not so offensive. But if you have to that why not change the name to something all together different? Like Montecello, or Davis or Winters Creek. I've always thought that Putah is a strange name for a creek. Paul

fallriverfish
11-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I think it is a fitting name. Multiple cars per pullout, Anglers lined up to take turns on spawning fish.

Fun spot on the right day. Big fish.

Paul B.
11-22-2006, 09:46 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that you mention it. PB

Cranny
11-22-2006, 01:53 PM
If you like, I will print the shirts; I've gotten my butt kicked at Putah the last 3 times i've fished it... and I'm a screenprinter.

Cranny

www.neworderink.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Years ago (1970ish) I worked in West Sacramento at West Capitol Rod & Gun which was a full on bait-n-tackle shop.

I had a customer come in and tell me about the big trout he was catching at "Poochy Creek"?

Remember, this was West Sac.

PS: We have to get Geller to give us a blow by blow of his encounter there with a huge Brown trout on a #16 Hares Ear nymph with 6x tippet in a big inner tube.

Darian
11-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Hmmmm,.... Was the Brown in the tube or Galen :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: