PDA

View Full Version : Hooks II

Jay Murakoshi
11-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Ok,

Here's a few examples of jig hooks. What I'm going to try and show and explain.

Look at the top hook, which is the 30 degree hook. I tried drawing a straight line from the point to the top of the eye.

The second hook is the 60 degree bend model. The straight line shows the distance the gap distance.

Now the question.......... Does the difference in the gap from the 60 degree to 30 degree make a difference in hook ups.
My opinion - I would have to say "yes" You get more of a bite with the wider gap for a better hook set.

The bottom hook is also a jig hook I use for my LMB cone heads jigs. I believe a flat eye will crawl over stumps, rocks, etc. Being the eye of the hook is in the same plane that the fly is being pulled.

Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't really used Jig hooks alot. I'm still a "J" hook user

Jay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/hooks.jpg

Darian
11-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Hmmmm,.... Not sure about the difference in the eye of each model. :? :? I do agree that the gap on the 30 degree jig hook should result in more hook-ups. :) :) :)

Perhaps a line drawn on the same plane as the angled portion of the hook (abopve/below) might suggest some other applications.... Such as in Blanton's Spinster pattern. 8) 8) you might be able to attach your plastic lip at the point of the angled bend and tie the Crankbait pattern on it. 8) 8)

Lee Haskin
11-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi Jay,

Great picture!

I think the gape is the space between the shank and the point, or perhaps the eye and the point. It is not the distance between the eye and the hook point line.
IMHO.

Since the eye of the 60 deg. hook is closer to the hook-point line, I would pick the 60 deg. hook. The difference beween the 30 deg. and the 60 deg hooks, to the hook point is very small.

However, the pull point plane, at the eye, is significantly closer to the hook point line, with the 60 deg. hook.

It would be interesting to show the EC 413 along side the red, 60 deg hook shown.

The O'Shaughnessy bend of the 413 brings the hook point line closer to the eye, yet the longer shank keeps the gape even more open than the 30 deg hook shown.

Although the perfect bend of the 30 deg. hook opens the gape, it moves the hook point plane further from the pull point at the eye. I think this might make the hook less effective in holding fish.

Jay, I am offering a lot of subjective opinion here. Your point about the gape being more open with the 30 deg., Perfect bend, might be a bigger issue!

$.02
Lee

sculpin
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm wondering if the angle of line pull has something to do with fish staying hooked up rather than the increased hook gap. I haven't done much striped bass fishing but have been intrigued by all the reports of fish staying hooked on the EC 413 hook . With steelhead I find the longer the hook shank the more fish flip off during the fight doing their head shaking , jumping , and alligator rolling . I think it's because of all the extra leverage on the hook during all the direction changes . I hear using tube flies and octipus hooks far less fish are dropped , I haven't tried them personally . It does make sense because I loose far fewer fish while gear fishing with short hooks . I have been using a Dai-Riki 700b hook for big nymphs and drop 40% on average of the fish hooked . I like the hooks because they ride hook point up which results in less flies lost to the river bottom . I've been considering trying the EC 413 for nymphs to see how they do.

Mark

700B Hook
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/Sculpin/dai-riki-700B20Hooks_small.jpg

Tony P
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
The 30 degree jig hook is not a Gamakatsu it is a Mustad 32886 BLN.

Tony

Lee Haskin
11-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi Mark,

Well said.
Your point is one I have been trying to make. (not very clear on my part :oops: ).

Doug, thanks for the note on the brand of hooks pictured. This is more of a hook style issue, not a hook brand issue, right?

Lee

Darian
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi Lee,.... I believe the post showing the model number is in response to my request for it in a prior post.... Sorry to confuse the issue.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I had a friend, Chuck Masdeo, who use to troll for Stripers in the Delta many years ago.

He cast the lead on the hooks and made his own bucktail lead head jigs with big 7/0 O'Shaughnessy hooks.

He would actually bend the hook off to the side to help hook the fish better.

Just another idea.

PS: He was a great angler who taught many of us youngsters about having our hooks really sharp and how to pull test our knots real hard after tyeing up. I think he fished barbless too.