PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Nest (materials question)

Matt Frey
11-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey Guys,
I am filling some gaps in my fly box for tomorrow's fishing and I wanted to tie up some small olive Bird's Nest. I usually use wood duck but I just realized that I have only a couple wood duck feathers left. In Ralph Cutter's Fish Food he says to only use wood duck, because of its stiffness. But wood duck feathers arent an option for me tonight. Looking around I found some teal, mallard and pin tail and I have a full partridge. I was hoping for a bit of advice of what to use. What do you guys like to use for your Bird's Nests? Only wood duck or do you use other feathers? Does the type (therefore color) of feather you use play an impact in this decision?
Thanks in advance!

Adam Grace
11-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Matt partridge will work just fine. I actually like partridge better than wood duck, more motteling and thickness at the tips. Use what ever you have that has mottling and looks "leggy." Have fun tying.

David Lee
11-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Oy , Mattie -

The 'correct' Birdnest is ....... Pintail dyed Olive tail - Body is any olive dubbing , Pintail dyed Olive collar (distribution wrap ) . any dark Olive dubbed head . Rib is fine copper wire .

Bead is black or copper .

On a size 10 hook .... it KILLS everything !!!!

David :D :D :D

Matt Frey
11-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up using partridge. I am going to have to tie some more since I lost a lot of flies today. Water was really low.

I am eager to try the "'Correct' Bird's Nest" that David recommends.
Now I just need to figure out how to dye these pintails. I have one of AK Best's books on dyeing feathers that I will look at, but do either of you have any tips? :D

Thanks
Matt

David Lee
11-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Matt -

I use Rit dye , mix 7-10 parts yellow w/ one part dark green .... you can fool around until you get the shade you want .

The Birdnest was the first fly anyone ever taught me to tye . Pat Sandlin showed me , he learned it from Cal Bird himself .

Thanks Pat (where ever you are ...) - I never forgot it .

David