PDA

View Full Version : P.O.S. , 11/10/06

David Lee
11-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Tubed from 11:00 to 3:30 . Saw between 15-20 Stripes landed , along w/ 1 Catfish .

Only had one grab , which fell off :x . Had the POS security dude tell me to keep 100 yards off the docks . Also saw a big black/white kitty ( Those port rats grow BIG cats :shock: ....) . perhaps 12 other boats fishing , a few sailboats out . All fish I saw caught were on bait .

Light chop , followed by flat as glass water . Keep your eyes open for other boaters , I had one boat push a wake that almost flipped my tube . Mind the mud while launching ....... it's quite sticky :idea:

That's it !!

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2006, 12:17 AM
David,

Can we launch a boat over there?

David Lee
11-11-2006, 10:45 AM
David,

Can we launch a boat over there?

Excellent question , Boss .......

There's what appears to be a dirt 'ramp' - with a 4-wheel drive and a few guys to help .... it MIGHT be done . I haven't really taken a good hard look at that spot . I've seen several trucks w/ trailers parked there .... so someone's doing it -

The ramp (if it can be called one) is close to where the deepwater channel enters the turning basin . A cartopper boat , Jonboat , tube , pontoon boat/Yak can be dropped in in several places , just drive around and look .

The Pros and Cons of fishing the Port are .....

PROS -
1 - Stripes close to home . The Delta is quite a drive in the rain ...

2- You will likely be the ONLY flyguy out there ..... the trollers/bait guys will give you the "Where did you hide the keys to your spaceship" look .

CONS -

1- It's filthy . really . Stinky , muddy , trashy , filthy .

2- Wind . If it blows ....... it really blows . You might be chumming .

3- The 'wildlife' . Break-ins are common . I've heard the west sac police check the place out on a regular basis , but you should still keep your eyes peeled for chuckleheads ....

Don't bother fishing the structure - those docks don't hold squat (guess how I know this ). Fish at least 50-75 yards offshore . The Stripes will be anywhere from the bottom (deepest is 35 feet ???) to the top 10 feet . Pay attention to the birds .

Most importantly , watch the other boaters - they will swamp you .... or cut-across your drift 15 feet away from your tube (shoving your rod straight down into the water will save that flyline) . All the Immigrant Fisherfolk I've met out there , along w/ MOST of the redneck locals , are friendly .... and respond to a smile and wave and perhaps some small talk . You will also see people cursing , drinking , and smoking dope ..... be aware .

Hope this helps .

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2006, 11:02 AM
David,

I have a friend who is a veteran fly fisher and who has fished the POS for many years from a pram.

I asked him about it once but forgot all the details.

I will try to get hold of him for some good feedback.

I think it is a winter fishery?

I know there use to be Threadfin Shad in that Lake Washington.

I know there is a tide thing going on there too.

Years ago the locks actually opened and you could get through from the river. Sadly I never did that and now they don't open them anymore.

Around 1970 I worked at West Capitol Rod & Gun just a mile north of there.

I guess some join the yachting club so they can launch there?

David Lee
11-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Bill -

I've only fished it 6 or 8 times , so I'm far from being the 'expert' !! Like with any kind of fishing .... if you put the time in to learn a spot , it will pay off sooner or later . I've just tried to pass along what I've seen/learned .....

Since I can't catch Stripe in the American between Nov.-Feb. , I'll keep trying to figure out the port . I'd be very interested in what your friend has to say on the subject .

Tell ya what , though ..... casting a sinking line from a tube for any length of time sucks . The RIO 300 I used on my 8 wt. for most of the day worked out pretty well . I think the CUSTOM TIP would be cool in that water .

Keep the port in mind for a mid-winter fishout :idea: :idea: :idea:

Ed Wahl
11-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I launched my pram from the levee across from the port last summer. I saw a couple 4x4 trucks with boat trailers there also. I don't think I'd drive down off the top of the levee when it's wet and muddy though. Especially with my 2 wheel drive truck. It's kind of a long kick across the turning basing isn't it?

David Lee
11-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Hi Ed -

A long kick ? I don't know ....... I have done the levee by Industral Blvd. to the mouth where the yacht club is and back again and didn't find it difficult (maybe four hours , while casting ) . Of course , if the wind's up , it wouldn't be much fun . I'm usually good for a couple of miles , provided I don't have to rush .

That being said , almost all of the Stripes I've seen caught out there have been just to the east of the middle - perhaps a 20-30 minute kick from dead-center , south levee . That isn't too bad .

The clay/muck/marl bottom mud out there has to be seen to be believed - it'll stick to fins , tubes , pretty much anything that it gets on . I had to use a high-pressure nozzle on the hose last night to get that crap off my gear !! Avoid launching /landing at low tide :idea:

Sure is a promising spot .... hope I get it sorted this season :?

Ed Wahl
11-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Don't forget the smell of that mud. Peeyew! It's smelly tidal muck mixed with clay or something. I caught a catfish down there years ago, back in my bait fishing days, that had a small crab in it's gullet. That was before the mitten crab invasion too.