PDA

View Full Version : Striper tackle for the Delta

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't consider myself one of the 'Striper Commandos' but I have fished and talked with many of them. When I do get around these Striper chasers I quiz them about many parts of fly fishing for Stripers.

My info here is from fishing and talking with Striper anglers like Kevin Doran, Dan Blanton, Andy Guibord, Shane Harden and Jim Christensen.

As far as fly rods go most will be using a 9' #8 rod with some serious power especially in the tip. Some use a #7 weight with smaller flies at times and some use a #9 for throwing some larger, heavier streamers. Out of a boat it seems like the 9' length is the top choice. This could be a 2, 3 or 4 piece models. With more ferrules on 4 piece rods you need to check them to be sure they are still tight after a lot of blind casting for Stripers.

The fly reel for Stripers is not a really big deal but you want a solid one with a good smooth drag. For using the fast sinking lines you don't need a really big reel either because it is very small diameter and doesn't take up much room. We think 100 yards of 30# Micron or Dacron is good for Stripers in most cases.

One of the most popular lines right now is the SA/Mastery 'Custom Tip Express' which is SA's version of T14 for the sinking section integrated smoothly to their intermediate running line for only $39.95. They come with about 33' of very fast sinking section so most are recommending cutting 5 feet off which should net a bout a 28 foot sinking section which is just right for an 8 weight rod.

Any 300 grain Teeny type integrated sinktip will work too. They cast a little smoother and are better for first timers. Maybe a 250 on a 7 weight rod and 350 on a 9 weight rod.

LC13 lead core, Rio T14 and the Custom Tip Express all cut through the wind better and sink faster though. I think 28' is a good average length for LC!# or T14 heads.

If you are throwing larger wind resistant top water sliders, poppers or gurgles for Stripers you can use the same 8 weight rod with a WF10F 'Saltwater' or 'Clouser' line. This will take a larger reel to hold the larger, fatter floating line.

As far as leaders go in the Delta many use 6 to 8 feet of straight 15 to 20 pound test level mono. Maxima Ultragreen is very popular but many others will work.

For flies many seem to like a Chartreuse and White Flash Tail Clouser. Nice ones are tied on #2/0 Gami jig hooks with large heavier eyes. All black FT is another choice. Then there are lots of custom combinations as well.

Next season Umpqua will have some of Dan Blanton's FT Whistlers and FT Clousers tied on jig hooks.

Redfish1
11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Is there any advantage of the jig hook when striper fishing? If so, what is the intended advantage with that shape of a hook?

I've experimented with a variety of hooks and wasn't impressed with the quality of most jig hooks, unless you went with steelhead jig hooks from Gamakatsu, VMC, or Owner.

I've had excellent luck with Owner AKI hooks, except their sizing runs a bit small. Otherwise, those Tiemco 600SP are a good bet.

One hook I've tried lately are large octopus hooks, but it sees like the flies don't swim quite right - which might be due to the offset point?

RF

Darian
11-08-2006, 03:19 PM
RF,.... I've been using the 60 degree bend jig hooks by Eagle Claw (EC 413) and the Gamakatsu, also in 60 degree bend. Haven't had any failures (yet :? ) and the hook rides correctly (up). These hooks are good for fishing
in cover or on the bottom.

I've tied some larger slatwater flies on Ocotpus hooks but straightened the offset before starting the tie. Maybe that will help for you.... :) :) :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-08-2006, 11:04 PM
I think most use the jig hooks so they can tie the fly up side down which allows them to drag it over the 'stuff' on the bottom with really fast sinking lines.

Some are using circle hooks to so they don't get snagged up on the wood (pilings and trees) that is underwater.

We know this is popular in Northern California for blind casting for Stripers.

JerryInLodi
11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Bill, I stock my boat with two Redington RS3 four piece 9 weight rods, two Redington CD 9/10 reels with Rio Striper Express 350 grain, 8 " per second line with 80 yards of 30 pound backing.

I can cast the whole 90 feet of line fairly easily. My customers who have used the equipment as loaners absolutely love it and adapt to it very quickly.

As for leader, 6 feet of Maxima Ultragreen, 15# test.

Yes, I could use lighter rods and have two seven weights that I loan out for bassing but for casting all day long, into the wind, with the wind, light flies, heavy flies, catching 20 inch fish and 20 pound fish, I don't think these outfits can be beat.

If someone were to go shopping at your place, they could fully equip themselves for about $385 and have top quality equipment that would last for many years with a great warranty.

If I had room to store the rods as two piece I'd probably lean toward a two piece outfit but I love the fact that I can store the rods away and yet have them handy if someone needs a loaner. MY deck hatches are about three inches too short to store two piece rods.

In any case, if you steer people toward the above, I don't think they'll be disappointed. What's also nice is that in the hands of an experienced angler, the rod could double for a light Dorado rod, something I wouldn't try with a seven or eight weight.

As far as jig hooks, I haven't made up my mind yet. I haven't had the problem of my clousers retrieving at other than hook up. However, my Super Flashtail Woolly Bugger does benefit from the jig hook since I tie it weightless and without eyes and the jig hook seems to swim it hook up, great as far as the weeds go.