PDA

View Full Version : Felted Fur ?

Matt Frey
11-07-2006, 11:30 AM
On the mixing dubbing post I saw a term that I wasnt familiar with "Felted Fur". I did a quick google search and came up with this:

"Felting is a process, not a material - that's why we call it "felted fur". Felting is a heating under moisture and pressure that makes the individual hairs twist and angulate around each other in every direction imaginable."

I was hoping that someone on this knowledgeable board could provide a little insight here. Possibly pros and cons of felting, what flies use felted fur but more generally what is felted fur all about. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Darian
11-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Matt,.... The felted fur that I refer to is the method used to produce the same affect you describe without using professional equipment.

If you would use the method of blending described by David Lee, for example, you would end up with fur whose fibers are compressed and intertwined. Not professionally (like felt soles on wader boots) but compressed enough to require pulling apart to use. The felted product may be rolled and used as a "noodle" or pulled apart and dubbed in the standard manner.

large amounts of fur(s) felted/processed in this maner is easily stored in Zip lock bags. 8) 8) 8)

Matt Frey
11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
So it is the water that causes dubbing to be felted? It has nothing to do with heat?

So the next obvious question is why would felted dubbing be preferred or not preferred for that matter ... I noticed that Darian mentioned some fly patterns use felted dubbing, and what the heck is using felted dubbing as a "noodle"? 8) Obviously a fly tying technique that I dont know about.

Thank you so much. Its great to learn about this stuff from people with such experience.

Darian
11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Matt,.... As mentioned in the PM, the felting process I'm referring to is that Described by Polly Rosborough in his book Tying and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs. The process involves using heated water to mix and drain thru a sieve (as David described). When dry, the result is a rather compressed disk of fur (blended or not) for use as dubbing. 8) 8)

A "noodle" is an amount of fur teased out from the felted disk and rolled in the palm of the hand into a noodle that was narrow at one end and thicker at the other (for dubbing a tapered body). 8) 8) The narrow end was tied into a dubbing loop (also described in Rosborough's book) and twisted into a type of chenille (for lack of a better word) and would forward. The loop was tied off at the desired point. This creates a very nicely segmented/tapered body for a fly/nymph. 8) 8)

Rosborough wasn't/isn't the only tyer who used felted fur and a dubbing loop but was one of the first. 8) 8)

Try it out. When you feel confident enough to experiment, you'll be amazed at the number/types of materials you can include in the loop. :D :D

Matt Frey
11-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Sounds like I have used the "noodle" technique before and just didnt know what it was called. :lol:

Thanks

Hairstacker
11-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Darian, I have to second the great point you've made about experimenting with dubbing loops. Whenever I'm experimenting with different materials and how to apply them to come up with a variation on a pattern or a new one, I have found it essential to always consider whether the use of a dubbing loop will provide the effect I'm looking for. I have found that, in some applications, it may be the ONLY way to tie in certain materials to achieve the particular result I'm seeking.