PDA

View Full Version : best method for mixing dubbing

Jasonh
11-07-2006, 02:39 AM
A lot of the steelhead flies i tie involve mixing two different colors of dubbing. I usually just do this by hand but was wondering if anybody has used any other methods, i.e. mixers, machines, etc... Any thoughts?

Hairstacker
11-07-2006, 02:44 AM
I always mix by hand too, which works well enough if you're patient and work in small batches. I know a lot of guys like to use those coffee bean grinders.

David Lee
11-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Take a large glass jar .....

Put the 'small'(things that are already cut-up or short) stuff in , take the 'long'(things like flash , etc.) stuff , cut it up , put into the jar , fill half way up w/ water , cap the jar , ..... shake the livin' whizz outta it .

Drain into a colander w/ a few sheets of paper towels in the bottom . When empty of water , take dubbing mix out , squish between more paper towels , then air dry .

My Dragonfly nymph dubbing has up to 10 different colors in it . Good stuff !!!

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Years ago there were no blended dubbings.

All fur was on the skin.

We sold those little electric coffee bean grinders back then.

You can probably get one for $10-20 @ Wal-mart?

http://www.blackanddeckerappliances.com/dyn/prod/full/31/CBG100W_hires.jpg

Darian
11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Hmmmm,.... I'm not sure I know what "....by hand...." means. :? :? There're a number of manual methods available. I've always used two wire brushes (cat/dog hair brushes) to blend furs/hairs. That way it doesn't get felted and may used immediately. 8) 8) Of course, if I want a felted fur (....as in Polly Rosborough's nymphs), water is necessary. Then using water to blend is best. 8) 8)

Hairstacker
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Darian, when I said "by hand," I just meant mixing the dubbing with my fingertips.

mike N
11-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Jason,

I use a coffe gridner to mix dubbin. if you decide to try it, just remember to tap the top, don't let it grind for any length of time. If you run the machine for too long you will have a tightly mixed batch of dubbin (knotted and snarled) that will usually give you poor dubbing results.

MN

Adam Grace
11-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I also use a coffee grinder, it mixes up the dubbing pretty well. If you leave the grinder on too long though you can chop up the dubbing into lots of smaller pieces. I recommend a cheap coffee grinder for your mixing needs.

dtp916
11-08-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm with Hairstacker, I do it by hand. I tear it up and mix it and that has worked fine for me. I have a big bag of Hare's Ear dubbing I must of had for 6 years now and there's plenty left. Maybe I'm not putting it to use :lol: :lol: :lol: Lots of guys use coffee grinders, I might try them one day...

Darian
11-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Gotta watch out when you're mixing dubbin' in a coffee grinder.... :? :? Ya might end up with some hairy coffee.... :lol: :lol: :lol: