PDA

View Full Version : The American this Saturday

Flyguy
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi guys havent posted much but have a couple of quick questions from you skilled veterans out there. I'm from the tri-valley area and was gonna make a trip up to the American River this Saturday, I have only been there once about a year ago(off Watt Ave. bridge). Was wondering where is a good place to go? What areas are open? Any fly recommendations? :?:

Thanks, any information would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I might see or meet some of you on the river. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Joe Shirshac, Andy Guibord and Chuck Campana all work at our fly shop and have all been successful using fly rods with sinking lines and either small flashy salmon patterns or egg imitations for King Salmon on the Lower American River for the past 5 or more years.

We have salmon in the river all summer but they don't seem to get into large enough number for fly fishing till about now.

Oct/Nov seems to be the normal timing.

The water immediately below the Goethe Park walk over bridge is a very popular place for wading and fly fishing for salmon.

Joe works on Saturdays, Chuck works on Sundays and Andy work Thursday through Monday if you want to come in and talk with them about fly fishing for salmon.

David Lee
11-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Spin casting with beads is the order of the day. A few guys are experimenting with fly fishing (in the heavy hydraulics), but those fly rods really look weak.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm sure glad that the several hundred Salmon I've caught on flies over the past 12 years don't read this board .

Flyguy , leadcore/T-14 heads and a mono running line WILL get down while fishing those Kings ..... Just make sure to use a HEAVY (9-10 wt.) rod . Look for Salmon in runs deeper than 5 feet w/ a good flow . Large Buggers , Leeches , and even Shad flies will get 'em . When you stick one , FIGHT IT HARD - the key to beating Kings is to really put the wood to them .

David

BigBuddha
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
OMG!!! Here we go.

Flyguy
11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Blacksheep-Hi neighbor, I'm probally right across the freeway from you. Thats awesome you can fish the river three times a week. Like I said this will be an outing that is far and few between, so I'm hoping to make the best of it. :D

Bill-Thats great to hear the guys at the fly shop have all had success, its encouraging! However this may sound silly but where is the Goethe Park Bridge? :)

David-Thanks for the tips on the flies. I've seen some of the pictures from your previous post and I'm sure you have got some big ones. I like the "FIGHT IT HARD" technique, look forward to putting the wood to them on Saturday. :wink:

Hairstacker
11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
What the heck, why not be practical and spin cast a few beads?

What the heck, why not be practical and use a fly rod?

SteelieD
11-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Blacksheep - you are a brave man! Good thing this a very nice board!! :lol:

jbird
11-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Here on the American I have had limited success with Sunset Amnesia shooting line coiled at my feet and casting a one once Slinkey with long leader and beads. However, it wont work while fishing a hog line, because the current pulls the coiled shooting line into the other fishermen.

Frankly, I'd rather eat farm raised, costco salmon than join a hogline of snaggers. BTW spin fishing for salmon with a bead equals only one thing...FLOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! 8)

J

Ed Wahl
11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Black S. If you can pull that off you'll make some converts. Especially with the rapids in the shape they're in this year. In the past the rapids were shallow with a gravel bar at the bottom. The quickest and most enjoyable method of landing them was to take them down and wade across at the bottom. Now it looks like the smartest thing to do when they head down is just break them off. Believe it or not, when the big push starts, you won't mind breaking one off, there's a lot more out there. Forget the slinkey, a shooting head with a floating running line or a sink tip are good enough there, I prefer the shooting/running line to float because of all the snags. I've lost several heads over the past few years there when the running portion wrapped around a rock, or a piece of re-bar. I've seen several guys switching back and forth from a fly rod to a spinning rod. During the early part of the run the gear guys knock 'em dead, while the fly guys just pound water. That all changes when they really start to pour in though, then the fly rods rule. And I just can't make myself pick up my old, cob web covered spinning rod again.

Flyguy
11-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Black, Ed and any others,

You guys thinking of tryin this Saturday at any of the mentioned locations? :?:

Charlie Gonzales
11-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey Black Sheep
Remember, two in possesion is whether its in your freezer or in your hand. Thats how they get poachers(not that I'm calling you one) is by what they have in their freezer.

Charlie

Ed Wahl
11-08-2006, 08:06 PM
I believe it's three salmon. Hey Flyguy, I sent you a PM, I'll be down there Sat. for sure. Ed

Pez
11-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I fished goethe today....but no hits (from noon to 5). Just a few salmon being caught. As a beginer/intermediate fly fisherman had enough trouble casting 22 feet of t-14. Hey black sheep I understand you live in Dublin. I live in Pleasanton and go to the American once or twice a week, if you are interested in fishing together send me an email.

Flyguy
11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Pez, I'm in your area and am trying to make an effort to get out to the American a little more often. If your interested in fishing the American in the near future let me know shoot, me a PM. Perhaps we can meet up with some of the other guys on the river.

If interested maybe Blacksheep can meet us up there on a trip.

Pez
11-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm busy this weekend, but most likely I will go up during the week. Hopefully there will be a few more salmon.