View Full Version : Time Falls Back...Magdalena Lights Up

bajafly
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
REPORT #1035 “Below the Border” Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996
Endless Season Update 11/04/06

East Cape
http://www.bajafly.com/report/Gillpa.jpg
Gill Nets Back
With few on the beach to notice, once again the gill nets begin to appear on East Cape Beaches. Here's a photo of a panga with a pile of gill nets on the beach near the lighthouse at Punta Arena. All the local captains are angered, but as usual, no one is doing anything about it.

Early north winds continued to takes their toll on the beach action. Wind waves pounded the beaches earlier in the week leaving the water the color of chocolate milk. Moving a few miles offshore, the water cleans up and there are a few decent sized dorado to be found. Hookless teasers will get them close enough for a cast or two. Small white hoochies with a hook also will work. When you hook one, bring it close to the boat, throw a few sardina and fling your see-through deceiver at the boils.
Further down the coast beginning outside of Cabo Pulmo, there are enough yellowfin tuna to keep things interesting. Keep an eye on the wind! If it kicks up, it may be a sloppy ride home.
Billfish action has dwindled down to precious few this week with very few catches being reported throughout Palmas Bay
Water temperature 74-86
Air temperature 73-92
Humidity 88%
Wind: NNW at 4 kph
Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility 10 miles
Sunrise 6:26 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:38 p.m. MDT

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico
http://www.bajafly.com/report/novembermag.jpg
Marlin Action Heats Up In Front
Offshore more yachts are arriving daily, like moths to a flame, as the striped marlin action heats up. Action seems to be strung out on a straight line south from the Thetis. It is always amusing to hear the radio chatter as most everyone complains about too many dorado beating the marlin to the teasers - enough to glaze over the eyes of the anglers at East Cape struggling to catch a few dorado. Most of the fleet are anchoring either at Santa Maria Bay or inside the Entrada at Belchers.

The pace in the Esteros has also quickened, providing good action for leopard grouper, pargo, corvina and some mystery bites that are leaving anglers with broken lines and a sheepish grin on their faces.

OK…sounds too good to miss, so early Tuesday morning I will be on the road again heading for another November hiatus at Magdalena Bay. The clients arrive mid week and I will be out there yelling CAST until I am hoarse as multiple marlin chase the teasers to the transom. See ya’ out there!

Water temperature 74 - 84
Air temperature 68-80
Humidity 88%
Wind: NNE 5 kph
Conditions: Clear
Visibility 6 miles
Sunrise 6:46 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:44 p.m. MST

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico
The offshore fishing is slow. According to the Satellite Surface Temperatures, we have 86° water out beyond the 50 mile mark, but it appears to be too warm to attract the blue water game fish.

Adolpho, on the panga Dos Hermanos, fished the blue water for three days, and only got one 25 pound dorado at 25 miles. I have never heard of him doing this poorly for three days on the water.....ever. At least he is honest.

However, he did tell me the roosters are still very active on the beaches, with 4 to 7 roosters a day being taken by each boat. Plus, they are good sized fish, with an average between 30 and 40 pounds.

Ed Kunze
Water temperature 78 - 87
Air temperature 78 - 100
Humidity 89%
Wind ESE 9 kph
Conditions: Cloudy\rain
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 6:46 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:13 p.m. CST