PDA

View Full Version : 3 Days on the LT

dtp916
11-05-2006, 07:22 PM
I just got back from fishing the Little Truckee River for 3 days. It was awesome :D Conditions are great right now. The lower section near Boca is packed with spawning Kokanee, so trout were hard to find. We caught them by the dozens while fishing for trout. BH Copper Johns are a killer pattern for them. After locating several big browns and a rainbow taking nymphs, I tied on a tiny BH Micro Mayfly. Used a dry fly as an indicator and made some cast...It was 8:30 AM and very cold. As soon as I saw the white of his mouth, I set the hook! :evil: This guy made my whole trip worth! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/dtp916/goodshot.jpg

There was a 'bow that was even bigger, but it was impossible to get a drag free drift at his depth in the water. Trust me I tried, my buddy tried.

The next day, we headed up to the meadow section. Caught a Kokanee on a BWO parachute dry. I was really suprised since these guys don't normally take bugs of the surface. And as I found out later, there was tons of them all the way up there. Later on, I spotted a nice rainbow in 5-6 inches of water. 2 cast later my reel was screaming with him downstream.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/dtp916/rainbow4.jpg

The next day, we went back up to the meadow section, farther up than the day before. It was packed at the last turnout, 8+ cars.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/dtp916/land2.jpg

I walked downstream and found the JACKPOT!!! Pods of big rainbows and browns eating Baetis duns off the surface. They were rising all around me and i got my buddies over to fish with me. I had 7 takes, 3 on, 2 landed. The first one ate my baetis parachute and broke my fly right off after 5 seconds. He was a beast, probably 22" and thick. I was so mad ](*,) Caught another 17" 'bow on my baetis parachute and a 15" brown that ate my sz. 14 Stimulator, used as an indicator. The brown jumped twice and put up tough fight. My buddy tied on a big Stimulator and a half hour later hooked into a beast brown that came flying out of the water. These browns are loving our big dries! When I released him (my buddy wasn't wearing waders), he was huge! Almost as long as the brown I caught above and stunning coloring too :) :)

Unfortunetely, my camera battery was dead by the 3rd day. We have a pic of my buddy's brown taken on his phone, I'll post it as soon as he sends ot to me :D

It turned out to be a great trip, big fish on dry flies in a great setting 8) Everyone I talked to was catching fish, i even watched a guy bring in a monster bow that took forever :evil: They were rising everywhere!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Beautiful markings on those fish.

I guess it is almost too popular to fish in the summer now.

I think it closes on November 15th?

jbird
11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
The smile says it all.

Great report :D

J

WinterrunRon
11-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Right place, right time... awesome! Super report. Thanks for posting the pics.