PDA

View Full Version : Bill and Jerry's Blantonfest Catches

JerryInLodi
11-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Well Bill and I didn't catch the big one but we did fairly well with the numbers with a total of 17 fish brought to the boat. In checking with other participants, they also were eluded by fish above the ten pound mark.

The really big news was that Matt Havelock caught, AND RELEASED a striper in excess of 55 pounds on Friday. I hope she makes it till spawning in March/April and I hope Matt posts the picture of the monster!

Bill landed a 3 lb. 12 oz. striper and myself a 2 lb. 13 oz. LMB.

Here's the picts.

http://ww1.pureupload.com/stfiles/309/festbill.jpg http://ww1.pureupload.com/stfiles/309/festjerry.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-05-2006, 03:05 PM
It was great fishing and reminiscing with Dan Blanton. We got about 20 fish with my largest being an 8 pounder that felt like a 20 pounder for a while. Those fish are very strong with some commenting that they are fresh in from the bay/ocean right now.

The Striperfest was really fun with lots "Striper Lovers" in attendance. Saw lots of good old buddies and met a few new ones.

Matt Havelock landed a real big Striper on Friday before the Fest. Matt told me it was a "Joe Shirshac" size fish. He was very excited. I have no idea how you would land a 20 pounder?

Again, the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta is a very beautiful waterway that we are lucky to have here in CA.

11-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey Jerry,

Those are a couple beautiful shots of very respectable delta fish :) !

Many thanks again for taking me out with you yesterday for my first Blanton Striper Fest. I was really hoping to give you a new picture of a big fish to take the lead on your trophy striper contest. We gave it a good shot and like you said I think we did pretty respectable compared to what seemed to be the case for many others.

Folks, if you are looking for a really friendly, good hard working guide on the delta for either largemouth or Stripers give Jerry a call. I have been out with Jerry 3 times now and caught good nunbers of fish each time. He definitely works hard to be successful. Still looking for that big striper but I am sure that will come in the near future. He has a great fishing craft, all the modern electronics, even a great CD player for music lovers like myself :) .

Bill Kiene, I am sorry I didn't get to say hello to you yesterday. You were always surrounded by lots of folks there at the BBQ. Congratulations on what I understand was a nice 8 lb striper you caught.

It surely was a very fun day out on the delta.

Best Wishes to all!

Bill

JerryInLodi
11-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Bill, if it's any consolation, you beat your last striper by over a pound! You may have to use that kayak of yours in stealth mode to find a really big one. When you do, I want to know just how far he drags you before you finally put him in the net. And then there's the problem of pictures of a 20 pound plus striper while in a kayak!

Jay Murakoshi
11-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Bill,

What fly?

Jay

WinterrunRon
11-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Jerry,

If you have the time, please work the delta in a concentric circle closing in closer and closer to the center each day. That way, when we get out there together on the 25th, you'll have them rounded up in a nice little "striper corral," and I won't have to work so hard to find 'em!

Ron

11-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Hello Jay,

I caught the fish in the picture on a small bluegill type pattern that I got out of the NCFFB striper fly swap a while back. I did however have very good luck fishing your sea habit fly catching several stripers and a largemouth. I wish I would have tried it earlier in the day. I would say it was my most successful fly I used.

Jerry and I were wondering how you made the head for that or what you used for the head? Very nice fly.

Bill

Jay Murakoshi
11-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Mylar tubing, Devcon 5 min epoxy and 4 coats of Loon Hard Head

Jay

Hairstacker
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Glad to see you guys got into 'em! Although I was unable to go :( , by all accounts, it sounds like this year's Striperfest was a great event. 8)

I did manage to get out on the Delta for a few hours in the morning yesterday, but all I caught was 3 largemouths, no stripers, on Clousers. Did get one huge swirl next to my Clouser :shock: and got a few hits on topwater but no hookups. I did see a fella catch a very large striper while trolling behind a ski boat. I overhead one of the guys on the boat yell, "Man, that thing is a MONSTER!" as they pulled it aboard. I was too far away, though, to get a good fix on its size but it was a big one.

JerryInLodi
11-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Hairstacker, what is so disheartening is looking at some of the bait and trolling fishing report pages. Pictures of lots of dead stripers above the 24 inch mark.

We're facing a major crisis and some people just have the, "I've got mine" mentality without concern for the health of the fishery.

We have a whole group of fishermen that just don't recognize the crisis. On the other hand we have tons of LMB fishermen that are working hard to make the LMB population even more viable. We need to convert those that are killing the spawners.

We just CAN'T keep killing those fish that reach spawning age. A female striper does not broadcast her eggs until about 23-24 inches long. Bigger fish have many more eggs than smaller fish. Males are capable of milt at about 18 inches.

I know DFG would really like the issue of the striped bass fishery to go away but we've got to pressure for some kind of slot limit, say 16-24 inches, two fish. Anything above that has to be released. That would mean that the fish capable of spawning are released.

The Blantonfest raised a lot of money for the NCCFFF, not near what other interests are willing to put into the pot to oppose delta water quality but still, a significant amount.

As fishermen, we NEED to put pressure on DFG and let them know that WE consider the striped bass a valuable asset to the environment of the delta and we don't care whether this fish is an exotic or native, we DEMAND that the fishery be protected and enhanced.

I just encourage every one of you to let your views be known when you talk to DFG people at expositions, on-the-water fish surveys, e-mails, etc. The striper filled an open niche in the delta when imported and lived in harmony with the native species. It deserves better consideration than it's being given.

Ok, I'm stepping down off my soap box. I'm probably preaching to the choir in any case.

Hairstacker
11-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I hear you Jerry. I too visit other boards and see a lot of 'em pictured on stringers. :( Never makes sense to me -- they got the picture, which is plenty good enough for bragging rights, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to eat a large striper with all the toxins involved.

I would fully support a 16 - 24-inch, two fish slot limit compared to what we have now. Of course, I will continue to release all fish regardless of size, and I'm fairly confident so would most of the fellas here.

The largemouth community has been enlightened on this issue for years. Don't know why catch-and-release hasn't taken hold of the striper community. . . .