PDA

View Full Version : Winter CA trout fisheries

Terry Thomas
11-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Here's an interesting post from NCBB site as posted by Maodiver:
Got a response back from DFG re: the proposed winter fisheries.

I wrote:
"Are there going to be other winter fisheries open up (a la the Upper Sacramento) this year? I am trying to confirm a rumor that many other sierra fisheries that were previously closed will open, as other states have winter fisheries.

i.e.

1. American River and tributaries, Section 7.00(b)(6)
2. East Fork Carson River, Section 7.50(b)(38)
3. Hot Creek, Section 7.50(b)(78)
4. Little Truckee River, Section 7.50(b)(103.5)
5. Upper Owens River, Section 7.50(b)(134)
6. Pit River, Section 7.50(b)(141)
7. Truckee River, Section 7.50(b)(196)
8. Tuolumne River, Section 7.50(b)(198)
9. East Walker River, Section 7.50(b)(205)
10. North Fork Yuba River, Section 7.50(b)(211)

The response from
David Lentz
Trout Management Coordinator

California Department of Fish and Game
Fisheries Branch
1812 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814:

"Mr. Owens

The Department of Fish and Game is proposing that winter season,
catch-and-release fisheries be established for the list of Sierra
District streams that you have included below. This proposal is being considered by the Fish and Game Commission along with other sportfishing regulations changes and proposals during the Commission's regular meetings this fall. They will make their decision on these proposals at their December 7-8 meeting in Santa Monica when they adopt new regulations.

The proposal for winter seasons, if adopted, would establish zero-bag limit, artifiical lures with barbless hooks regulations for November 16, through the last Friday in April. This would apply to selected portions of those Sierra streams you listed. For Hot Creek, the regulation would be artificial flies(barbless) consistent with the existing gear restriction. For the American River, it includes the three main forks and all the tributaries upstream of Hwy 49.

regards, Dave Lentz"

Ed Wahl
11-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Alright! Thanks Terry.

Hairstacker
11-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes, thanks much for the heads up and, in particular, for posting the DFG response! 8)

dtp916
11-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Now I'm all excited :D When will this go into effect? 2007?

David Lee
11-05-2006, 12:26 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hmmmmm ....... fishing the Pit in Feb/March during the Salmonfly hatch , all the while freezin' to death !!

Sounds good !!

:evil: David :evil:

bigtj
11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
dtp916 - re-read the post, this isn't a sure thing yet. The meeting is yet to be held until early December.

Sounds like good news if it does go through, especially for us folks on the east side that don't have to cross those passes in the winter.

Digger
11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Niiiiiice!!!

Skiin' and fishin'. Just doesn't get any better than that.

Mike O
11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
When I emailed Dave Lentz at the DFG again, as to when these new regs would take effect, he said:

"If the Commission adopts the proposed regs in December, 2006 they
usually become effective on March 1, 2007."

That is a big if, but looking at the actual numbers of people who have fished the USac in the winter, I hope the people at the F&G Commission will see that there will be no loss to the fish or the environment by allowing people to fish there.

I can just imagine how much more educated some of the fish in some of these streams will get. I have enough trouble with Hot Creek, now it will be a nightmare!! :lol:

Maodiver

bigtj
11-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't think it would have a major long-term impact. Most of the locations under consideration are a long way to go in the winter from the major population centers in CA. I don't think they would get hit a lot because most of the time it would be too much of a pain to get over the passes in bad weather, and besides during the winter a lot of folks focus on other activities. If anything it would have the desireable effect of taking the pressure off of opening day weekend and spread it out a little.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-15-2006, 12:08 PM
It's too cold for me after October up there.

It would be intersting for those who live up that way though.

Digger
11-15-2006, 12:44 PM
If anything it would have the desireable effect of taking the pressure off of opening day weekend and spread it out a little.

I wish that would be the case, but the largest crowds opening day are the put and take people. Doubt they will be doing much C & R fishing over the winter.

bigtj
11-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Digger -

Really? I guess you're right on places like Crowley but is sure seems like the waters of interest on the list - especially the East Walker, Hot Creek, and the Little Truckee - get slammed pretty hard on opening day. For the past 5 years in a row I've fished the McCloud on the opener, and although it's not on the list, it's a perfect example of a place that gets absolutely slammed for the opener by fly-fisherman. It just seems to me that opening some waters to fishing in the winter would spread out the pressure a bit if folks can do something about cabin fever during the winter.

Digger
02-17-2007, 04:14 PM
So, is anyone taking advantage of the March 1st opener on these locations?

Since the snowfall has b een light, I'm going to check out the upper Owens and Hot Creek on the 1st. (I'm taking the skis as a back up).

Ed Wahl
02-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll be taking advantage of the early opener, just not at the main tourist attractions. The wild card is gonna be access, that's gonna depend on the weather.

dtp916
02-17-2007, 08:39 PM
dtp-

I would bet willing to bet a large sum of money March 1st is NOT opening day of the winter fishing season on the Truckee for 2007. The way things work in government it's most likely to be next November 16th 2007, because it will take some time to get signage up etc. Just be sure to check the regs when they come out

How much did we bet again, bigtj? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

You better believe I'll be up there, bundled up from head to toe. The Little T is callin my name. Hopefully with the current weather, there won't be any snow on the road there... [-o<

I talked with the guys at Reno Fly Shop and they said East Walker should be good as well. They're doing well on the Nevada side on the Truckee, the water is a little warmer.

Owens is doing well right now, especially the Gorge, catching them on small dries :)

chemdoc
02-17-2007, 11:29 PM
For some reason, I seem to recall that the opener for these rivers was to be March 7 rather than March 1. I still haven't seen the 2007 regs posted on the DFG website. Does anyone know when they will be available?

On another note, I drove up highway 50 today and was amazed at how low the American looked. It is about the same as last November. With the light snowpack, will it be running high in the spring, or will this just be a low flow year?

Phil

Ed Wahl
02-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Winters not over yet. Remember how many times we've been dry all winter and got slammed in March? How high up is the snow? Is it still clear to Ice House? Ed

davkrat
02-18-2007, 03:31 AM
The reg booklets are out. I have 2 in my hot little hands! They say that these regulations take effect March 1 on the cover.

chemdoc
02-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I hope you are right Ed, or late summer fishing will be tough. We drove up as far as Echo Summit and there wasn't much snow below 6000ft. The American is rather pretty at 7000 ft, about 10 ft across with several feet of snow, but below Kyburz it is very low.

I'll have to get a hard copy of the new regs, as the DFG website still has the 2006 version online.

Phil

bigtj
02-18-2007, 10:42 PM
DTP,

Well I was a little surprised - but extremely happy - to say the least that DF&G worked so fast on this one. I'm more than happy to be wrong because that means trout season is really going to get going here. As far as "bundling up" for the Little T you might not have to...I fished in Nevada yesterday and today and it was nearly 70 degrees on Saturday, I was wearing a T-shirt. Today was a little cooler with some rain in the morning but not bad at all. It was especially nice considering how cold it was earlier this winter. With as dry as it has been I'd sure like to have some snow, but on the other hand some nice spring fishing woldn't hurt, either.

That's funny about the Reno fly shop guys talking up the Truckee fishery...I ran into two of their guide trips today and both of them were having a tough day. The fishing is better than it was (and it was not very good in January at all) but I wouldn't say it's good, more like fair. Keep in mind that the winter fishing on the Truckee is darn tough...extemely tough. A good days is a couple fish landed, an exceptional day is 6 fish landed. You just have to adjust your expectations on the Truckee, that is for sure. However, if it wasn't such a challenge the rewards would not be nearly as good.

dtp916
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't think I'll be messing with the Truckee too much until later on when the water warms and drops...mid July I'll be out there a lot. That is a hard river to fish!!! The guides are always talking up the river for their business :lol:

chemdoc
02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Boy, you were prophetic regarding the winter Ed. 10 days ago my sons and I were hiking through the woods along highway 50 without coats and quite comfortable. What a change this week. I don't think I'll be heading to the Sierras for the opener this week, but the snow should sure help the water this summer.

Phil

Digger
02-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Actually the water content of the recent snows have been on the drier side (think Utah-like powder). So, we've a ways to go yet to catch up with a normal snowpack.

On the other hand the skiing got good this last week, with FEET of pow instead of the usual Sierra cement!!!! The recent transition to La Nina, may likely bring warm spring weather sooner than usual

DWR will be out surveying the snowpack over the next several days, so we'll see how much of a dent these recent storms have made. The last survey on Feb 1st measured 39% of normal

bigtj
02-28-2007, 10:28 AM
The Sierra got about 9 feet of snow at the higher elevations in the past week. No matter how dry that snow is, it is definitely going to help a lot.