PDA

View Full Version : Salmon in American.....finally.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
We had a couple report recently that the salmon have finally come into our river in numbers.

We will keep you posted.

OregonSalmon
11-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Geez Kiene...those poor critters really don't like Sacramento do they. Believe they like my town of Seaside much better since they showed up on August 8'th!!! Was crabbing off the 12'th Ave bridge the other day, fish started rolling everywhere, finally got this old dude from Massachusets to get out of the chair and take some casts. Poor fella was 0-7 on landing a salmon and immediatly went 0-8. Not long after he hooked #9 and I walked into the intertidal mud to help him finally land one. Small bright king. He takes the fish to the hostel and orders me to take some casts. Swore I was never going to cast a spoon again but I couldn't help myself. About 12 casts and fish on which also made it to the bank. Nice bright 30#. Another crabber had to get muddy to beach the bugger. No crab, but I was bloodied and muddied which is a good thing. Yesterday went on a salmon date and hooked two which will spawn with sore mouths.

Damn, lots of fish and the river is clear enough for fly fishing but I don't have a boat in the water!!! Storms are on the way so there could be some salmon sinning going on upstream. The fellas deserve to git' sum' every four years. Wish I was that lucky.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Being on the Oregon coast you have to put up with fresh crabs, fresh clams and fresh salmon.......so sad.

Man I love the coast.......

Ed Wahl
11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Was at Goethe Park today for a few hours. They're starting to come in bigger numbers now. Hooked two, zero landed. They shot down the rapids and I chickened out about halfway down and broke them off. MikeN, cmon down, we gotta find a new way down the rapids. Saw a gear guy do it, looked like he was so close to the island that he was hanging onto the brush. Big changes from last year, more current and deeper water, this is gonna be good.

Ed Wahl
11-02-2006, 09:04 PM
With this rain, I expect the river to fill with salmon by tomorrow.

Katz
11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Can someone remind me how far up the river we are able to fish now that we are in November.

Also, where would you recommend launching a boat to go after the salmon.

Kraig

Frank Alessio
11-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Ed.
Is that section of the river open? There is an Oct. 31st closure. I believe it is at the cable at Ancil Hofman park.....

11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Ed,

I visited Goethe Park, but I didn’t find the rapids that you told me about a few weeks ago. The river looked like a big lake. Which way should I walk, and how far?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2006, 11:52 PM
It is the big Arden Rapids about 100 yards below the Goethe bridge on the Goethe Park side.

You should see people wading just above the rapids.

mike N
11-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Hey Ed,

I will be out there tomorrow some time, probably after lunch. I have a box of hooks, beads and tooth picks ready to go. :twisted:

MN

koffler
11-03-2006, 02:37 AM
My 2 cents, beads and toothpciks suck. Anyways, stopped by Goethe after work; a huhe fresh run of fish due to the rain must have run up. I swear, around 2:00pm are so there must have been 20+ gear anglers with at least 30+ fresh salmon on the beach.

Beads suck,
Koffler

Ed Wahl
11-03-2006, 02:45 AM
Goethe Park is below the Oct. 31 closure. Katz, if you find a spot to catch them out of a boat let me know, I'd be up for that. Til then it's a wading proposition. You'll also have to deal with a crowd. For the most part it's a pretty friendly crowd though. Seems Chuck and Joe from the shop are fairly well known around there.

OregonSalmon
11-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Kiene,
You left out sturgeon, elk, deer and chantrelle mushrooms. Plus I hear there are a few edible fish off the beach. Winter has started in a cruel fashion so my salmon friends are probably high tailing it to the spawning beds. Gonna have to hang up the rod until the steelhead show at the end of the month. Guess I'll just have to survive on clams and crabs. Boy I made a great crab/clam cakes. Couldn't stop eating them. My cholestrol level must be off the chart.

Get your butt up here next fall!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Geller,

In the morning we could put some crab and clams in the blender and make a seafood smoothy?

Got any buttermilk?

Marilyn said "Yuk!".

Darian
11-03-2006, 03:55 PM
SEAFOOD SMOOTHY.... :? :? :? I'm with Marilyn; YUUUuuuuuUUkkk!!!! :-& :-& :-&