PDA

View Full Version : I've been pretty lucky over the years.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I started seriously fly fishing over 40 years ago and being in the fishing tackle business all this time I have always been surrounded by some really top fly fishers.

I learned to fly cast from hanging around Bob Giannoni, Al Perryman and Walt Bennett who pioneered the Fenwick Fly Fishing School system. Being able to cast pretty well, even in a straight line, is a great place to start.

Then I was able to go fishing with really great fly fishers my entire life. I fished with top fly fishers like Joe Shirshac, Al Perryman, Neil Hansen, Don Rotsma, Rick Jorgensen, Bob Giannoni, Hal Janssen, Chris Pasley, Bob Quigley and even lefty Kreh. There are more that will come to mind later too. Just being with them gets you to places and time where the fishing should be good.

Also I have had many top fly fishing guides offer to take me our so I could see them in action. Fishing with guides like Fred Gordon, Keith Kaneko, Kevin Doran, Nat Ragland, Herb Burton, Mike McCune and David Armocido really taught me a lot about subtle things that help you catch fish. I fished in the tropics with lots of third world guides who are as serious about this as anyone.

I am a really good listener and I do ask a lot of questions, even today. I have asked many top fly fishers and fly fishing guides the same set of questions. Questions about all the variables. Tackle, flies, timing, technique, etc.

If someone comes in the shop today and they had some luck somewhere I try to "smoothly" get as many details as I can about their trip. What lines where you using? What flies? Time of day? What leader/tippet size? This keeps me centered so I can keep adding and adjusting my knowledge of the sport.

I don't consider myself to be in the league with the best fly fishers I know but thats where I have gotten some of my info and experience.

There is some gift or genetic difference in some people who can just catch more fish than most. It is kind of spooky to fish with these people at times. I really noticed this ability when the fishing is very hard. They still catch something. When I think of these gifted people I think of Hal Janssen, Chris Pasley, Bob Quigley, David Armocido, Fred Gordon, Bob Giannoni, Joe Shirshac, Jeff Putnam, Andy Guibord, Al Perryman......there are even more. You can even take these guy anywhere new and they will catch fish with flies. My brother Dick has that unconscious ability to catch fish anywhere?

These are people I have personally fished with over the years so I know there are lots more around the world, many have passed away too.

Fly fishing can be a life long involvement with the ecosystem, tackle, people and especially the fish. Fish are cool..................

Darian
10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
That's a really good description of what every young flyfisher should try to emulate and a great story. Thanks Bill. 8) 8) 8)

Digger
11-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Just for the heck of it, everyone write in on your ballot for candidate Bill Kiene on November 7th!

What could it hurt?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Yes,

I'll have 'em take out all the dams first.

Stop cutting the trees down on the best trout and Steelhead drainages.

No kill rule for wild trout or wild Steelhead.

Have a big grant for fly fishing research for all my message board members so they could retire and just fish.

Cut off all water to Southern Cal.

Rick J
11-02-2006, 10:38 AM
You were going great but that last one might have lost you the Southern Cal vote!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2006, 11:12 AM
ops..........the fly fishers would just have to move up north?

DonCooksey
11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Sounds good to me; I've just been looking for an excuse to move north. 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
We would love to have you......

We are also trying to get Jay Murakoshi to move up to Nor Cal.