PDA

View Full Version : ForeBay on Saturday

Jay Murakoshi
10-29-2006, 12:56 AM
This is something I don't do often - fish on a weekend, especially at the Forebay.
But I'm glad I did. Today was a pretty good count day. I started out at 7am under the tower lines on the inside of the island. Caught and released 6 stripers all on top water right in the weed patches. Most of the casts were right against the rocks in the weeds. Skated the bug across the patches and then popped the bug in the open water. Also had a few LMB. Then it went dead, no grabs, no top water explosions, etc.

Started fishing the bouy line and picking up one here and one there. The good thing today was most of the fish were bigger than earlier in the week. They ranged from 3 to 5lbs on the boga.

The action and bite started around 11am and lasted until 1:30pm. Alot of swirls and explosions. I ran the pram from boil to boil. Made the cast - 3 to 5 second count down then started a slooooooow strip. FISH ON !
It was amazing that only one boat came over to investigate. He was watching me through binoculars. I even invited him to fish the area but he went on towards the islands. The fish continued to grab. Then it just shut off and from that point on, it was one here and one there.

Pretty dang cold this morning (39 degrees) but it heated up around 10am.
First time I had long pants and a jacket on in a long time.

Time to rest a couple days, 4 days of fishing is wearing me out - BUT I LOVE IT.

I have photo's of the fish but taken with slides

Jay

paulegan81
10-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Jay that sounds like a great day. Fishing on saterday isint so bad after all...
Paul....
the working guy who usualy fishes on the weekends
by the way do you have any of the pics from Baja.......

JerryInLodi
10-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Hey Jay, were those early morning stripers working when you were popping for them or were you just blind casting to the weeds?

Do you know what the water temperature was?

What fly were you using? Are you tying it commercially?

Jay Murakoshi
10-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Jerry,

I was working the edge of the rocks, placing the bug right next to and sometimes in the rocks. Most of the time in the early morning, you can find fish tight to the rocks and weed line.
The water temperature was 61 degrees, outside air was 39 degrees.
Later in the morning, I was casting to swirling and busting fish.

I was using hair poppers like the Dalberg's and a flat face red/white hair bug. I've been tying alot them lately. I'm still working to perfect the hairy crankbait fly. I mean it works ok, but there's still room for improving the diving and wiggling motion.

Today the wind was blowing 10 to 24mph when I called this morning. So I'm sure the Peninsula was fogged in. Taking a couple days off to glue the cuts together and get some flies tied

Jay

JerryInLodi
10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Nest time I get out on the delta by myself or have some people that want to risk an experiment we'll toss some poppers, I think I'll target just when the full sun hits the water and the fish have to shift from low light to bright light! Just like you, toss in TIGHT and see what happens!