PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in Spey casting/fishing

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Most of the people I see getting into Spey have already been doing some Steelhead fishing here on the West Coast.

First I will start by telling you I am a beginner Spey caster but I think I know how to get started by watching what is going on around here.

I would not just buy a Spey outfit and just head out to the river because it will not be a good thing.

First you need a little help in having someone pick a rod that is right for your intended uses.

Then the biggest mistake you can make after that is to buy the wrong type of Spey line and even the wrong size.

The reel is merely a very large reel, maybe 2 size bigger than you imagine. Small Spey rods usually require a #10 reel while larger Spey rod need a #12 reel to hold all that line.

After you get a good outfit together you need a big river.

Next, the ideal thing is to get some group or private lessons from a Spey instructor. Here in Nor Cal we are blessed because we have one of the few FFF Certified Spey Casting Instructors, Jeff Putnam.

If you can't get to one of these classes you could either buy a DVD on Spey casting.

The other way is to go out with a Steelhead guide who teachers Spey casting/fishing while they are guiding you.

There are local Spey events in CA, Oregon and Washington that you might attend as well.

You just need to dedicate a year to just Spey to get started.

I compare it to marshall arts or ball room dancing.

Rick J
10-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Although I have been fly fishing for over 30 years and have taught FF classes at HSU I never thought spey stuff was for me. Maybe 6 years ago my Frind Dave Schatchter and I drove up to the Skeena and noticed we were about the only two that were using single handed rods.

So on returning, I broke down and bought one. What a kick - it is a whole new group of toys to play with and try to master. You can get good enough to fish with a spey rod pretty quickly, especially if you take Bill's advice but you will always be learning something new - I still get frustrated at times. Even though I have been at it for 5 years it is not really second nature. I no longer much think about the cast with a single hander - it just happens although I am still learning this game too - last year I hired Jeff for an hour and he really helped pick out some faults.

But with spey casting, I still need to think about the cast and they are not really consistent as it is all about muscle memory. One problem is it is more difficult to practice as you can't just step outside and cast like you can with a single handed rod. It takes water and preferrably moving water so you need to make a conscious decision to practice but it can sure be fun!!!

steve sullivan
10-28-2006, 04:37 PM
One problem is it is more difficult to practice as you can't just step outside and cast like you can with a single handed rod. It takes water and preferrably moving water so you need to make a conscious decision to practice but it can sure be fun!!!

I have never tried it, but if you go to Kiene's and buy Rio's new spey casting DVD Simon shows you how to put tags on your leader that grasp at the grass so you can practice on the grass.

Another cool thing about Simon's video's is he shows that you dont need a spey rod to spey cast. In fact, Jeff Putnam teaches a class on casting 40 feet without a backcast.

Rick J
10-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I have used grass leaders quite a bit and they do work though the timing is quite a bit different. It does help get the muscle memory down. In fact you can learn muscle memory with a rod and no line - I do this alot with single handed casting even without a rod and you can do this with a two hander as well though getting the right spacing for your hands is easier if you have at least the butt end of the rod and better still if the reel is attached.

Bruce Slightom
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Bill, and Rick,I agree with you both. Just because you are a good caster with a single handed rod you may not be very good with a two handed rod. It takes practice and some one that is good enough to spot the faults that you will make.

Rick got me started and I love casting the two handers. There is so much more to it that there is dange of becoming very frustrated. For me I have to think about most of the cast that I make.

I find that practice has to be without a fly on the leader. As soon as I put a fly on I think more about fishing than casting.

Fishing with the two handed rod has me excited about fishing winter fish again. I was drifting away from fly fishing during the winter, but now my jucies are flowing aging.

Another way to learn is to find a friend and learn together. Or have a friend to help, it is great if that friend has equipment that they will let you use. Better if the rod is a virgin.

sculpin
11-01-2006, 02:22 AM
I've been spey fishing for steelhead full time for about a year . I fish two to three days a week when the fish are in and I feel I'm starting to get as competent with with the spey rod as I am with my single hand rod. Generally I'm a lousy caster over all, it's great steelhead are stupid.
I think new spey casters need some instruction and a decent video to get the different casts imprinted in their minds. Your dollars will go farther if you have some basics before you pay for instructions .Putting a long belly line like a Rio steelhead/atlantic salmon on a single hand rod and single hand spey casting can really help . Then hit some Claves and cast some well balanced rod line combo's. Having the right line for the rod and the right rod and line for the type of fishing you are going to do is critical to your success. The first rod I had I hated and had a difficult time casting it until I got the right line on it. The bad thing about spey casting is a line on a rod I love another caster will hate. I hope this helps, I'm a lousy writer.

Mark

Rick J
11-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks Bruce for bringing that up!! I brought out my brand new Scott 1287 a few years ago on the Klamath - never been fished! I was fishing with Bruce and he had just started dabbling in spey rods so I showed him a few casts and handed him the rod and he promptly hooked about a 6# fish - on my brand new virgin rod - Ever since then I have labeled this rod my "Slut Rod"!

Hairstacker
11-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Rick, that is too funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol: