PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for an upgrade

slimfishin's
10-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey there fellow boaters
After some reluctance, I decided to sell off my fish slayer in hopes of upgrading to something "better". That's right, I sold off my tricked-out john boat to raise capital for something a little faster and a bit more seaworthy. I know, I know... Bill is probably in tears now that I sold the jon boat - now there's no hope for me to join the jon boat club . :)

BUT - look on the bright side. I'm faced with the task of finding a replacement., which is where you guys come in. I have limited my budget to $5,000 to 7,000, and will be trying to get "the most boat" for my budget. I'm mostly looking for a boat to fish the Delta, bigger reservoirs etc... I'm not sure that I could get a boat to do everything - but that's OK. Even a powerboat to run the rivers is not out of the question.

I'm starting to think more about a used bass boat. They seem to be readily available on the market, have plenty of horsepower, tons of casting room, usually come with trolling motors and fish finders. I guess I'm just not sure how I feel about glitter paint.

Does anyone own a bass boat? If not, what would you suggest as a boat to replace my jon boat?

SF

10-27-2006, 10:00 PM
SF,

The basic rule is to buy as much boat as you can without causing a divorce, but I prefer a small aluminum boat for fishing. If the boat will fit into your garage it will make life a little easier.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-27-2006, 11:50 PM
There are lots of good deals around here.

You just need the time to look at lots of boats.

I have bought many used boats and now when I do I look for ones that look almost un-used. I bought some really old wrecks and I am not doing that anymore.

There are lots of them out there and they are cheap.

You just need to take the time.

Sacramento Bee classifieds under boats - online or in the paper

FishSniffer boat classifieds - online

Boat Trader Online - good web site.

Darian
10-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Slim,.... You might've already done this but if I were in your position, I would identify what type of fishing you'll do the most. Then, sit down and make a list of all of your must haves, wants and like to haves.... in that order. Once these items are prioritized, do what Bill suggests. Look at a lot of boats and talk to a bunch of people who know about boats. 8) 8) Be detailed in crating the list and methodical in your search. 8) 8) That way you might just end up with a boat you want and will use.

Good luck.... :D :D :D

slimfishin's
10-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks, very good advice indeed. I've been trying to limit myself to looking at boats that are less than 10-12 years old. It seems that often times the limiting factor is the power plant. For example, you could pick up an 1982 Ranger bass boat, but it has a vintage '82 150hp two stroke....that is likely going to need replacement - so there is a huge hidden cost waiting down the road.

Here's another question regarding motors: I've been looking more closely at boats powered by two-strokes (my budget won't allow for 4-strokes). One concern I have is the gas consumption of these direct-injection 2-strokes. How much worse is the gas mileage on a 150 or 200hp outboard versus a 90 or 115Hp?

Here's an example of my quandry using some real examples I found.

1997 18' Ranger w/ Merc 115hp...$7000

.........or, a bit more boat...........

1993 20' Skeeter w/ Yamaha 200hp.. $8000

The Ranger might prove to be an excellent platform, with better fuel economy and being a lighter boat on a single axle tailer - easier to tow. However, that Skeeter is a Nimitz-class bass boat capable of speeds over 60mph. That is a lot of boat - but maybe too much boat, with a 50 gal. fuel capacity and a double axle trailer? It may be more boat than I could justify owning and operating.

I've been used to going all day on a 6 gal. tank with my little 20hp, but those days may be over!

I suspect for my needs, something like a 17 or 18' boat with a 90 to 115hp outboard might best fit the bill...

SF

sculpin
10-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I have known a couple of guys who have traded boats and motors around and wound up with some great combinations with not to much money invested. They would pick up the miss priced good motor/old boat or good boat/crap motor combinations. They would keep the good stuff and sell the junk off. It takes some time and knowledge but they wound up with some great boats cheap. Actually one of them sort of deals in boats off and on , kinda like horse trading.
I have a "93" 200hp Merc with a pump and if I open it up it will gobble an unreal amount of fuel. I use a 4 stroke kicker or electric trolling while fishing. With a prop the 200hp should get better fuel economy.

Mark