PDA

View Full Version : A Lesson In Bird Watching

larry sommerfeld
10-26-2006, 04:56 PM
I was slowly working a rock levee when I noticed herrons and egrets gathering at the water's edge about 100 yards ahead of me. They were intently watching the water as if waiting for something to happen. When I was about 30 yards away, all hell broke loose. A large school of stripers had herded a large school of shad against the rocks and were attacking. I've seen shad boils before, but this was a Super Boil. I kicked the Minn Kota into high. While I was closing the distance, I put down the LC 13 outfit I was using and grabbed my second rod with a full float line. I shut off the electric motor and coasted to within casting distance of the boil. I made four casts and caught four fish. Three were dinks and then an eight pounder. I think I could have caught more fish, but the eight pounder was not in any hurry to come to the boat. By the time he was landed and released, it was all over - ending as quickly as it had begun . I made about a dozen more casts with no results, switched back to the LC 13 outfit and got two more dinks.

It's funny, you can be having a poor day, then within minutes it becomes a good day. We all pay attention to whirling, squawking gulls, but the next time I see a bunch of birds standing at the water's edge, I'm going to give them a very close look.

lee s.
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Grand advice.....even if they are crows. :wink:

Katz
10-26-2006, 05:59 PM
What were you using on the floating line?

There is nothing better than a "Super Boil"..... Brings back my youth as a deckhand on a San Diego deep sea charter boat. 8)

Thanks for the report.

Kraig

JerryInLodi
10-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Larry, same thing happened to me about a week and a half ago. Saw the birds just "hangin' out" and decided they knew more than me. About 15 minutes later fish started working everywhere. It lasted quite a bit longer than your episode but nothing bigger than a 21 incher.

Since that time I've observed it happen two more times but not in the same intensity. The egrets along the shore seem to be the dead giveaway.

Sturmer White
10-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Katz
Jerry also uses the nervous water method to spot where fish might be.
It worked well Tues. We had a great day. I learned the short line nymph method for stripers. Got 6 or more with no line out of the rod.What a kick.

Darian
10-26-2006, 11:15 PM
You guys're makin' me very envious. :? :? Can't wait until I can get my trolling motor back in action. 8) 8) Sunny's Electric Marine is busy 'til next Thursday... :? :( :(