PDA

View Full Version : Good Day On the Delta

Tony Buzolich
10-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Took a newbie to the delta yesterday for a first time out after stripers. Got to Sugar Barge about 7:00am and saw that the tide was very high and not moving. Talked with Doc Cedar and he said things were a bit slow for the past week.
Well, if the tide is topped out now, then we need to come back later when things are moving and catch the outgoing.
In the meantime, hit a few of the backwater bays and sloughs off Connection and Mildred. Ended the morning with 10 keepers up to 8#s.

After lunch headed back to False River and Arena Cove area only to find the tide still coming in???? This didn't make any sense since it was high as heck early in the morning. Gave it a little time but didn't find any around Fisherman's Cut or the San Joaquin either.

Keep hitting those back waters in tight to the tules. Bluegill patterns and colors worked great yesterday.
TONY

JerryInLodi
10-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Tony, I take it you fished Tuesday and not during the hurricane on Wednesday.

I was out as well and found the fish willing about noon after a slow morning. Couldn't find any fish over four pounds though. Lots of fish in the system now, mostly small but some decent ones mixed in if you hit the right spot. We found our most willing fish from Mildred east.

Didn't seem to have the tide problem you did but I would guess the heavy off shore winds of the impending storm may have stacked the water up both outside and inside the bay, throwing the schedule off.

Tony Buzolich
10-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Jerry,

We did fish Tuesday and it was beautiful. Almost total calm. The only hazard was the fog as we headed south toward Mildred. S-Cut to Connection was really bad. It would clear a little and then come in thick again as we moved along. Finally I stopped and started blind casting along one of the back sloughs and hooked up. These fish were in tight to the tules looking for bluegills. A couple of the fish had full bellys which I sure had to be bluegills or crayfish. Didn't find any threadfin till later.

Watch the birds. They'll tell you where the bait is and what's pushing it to the surface.
TONY

paulegan81
10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
I was wondering if someone could post a PIC of a bulegill pattern that they are using?????? or where I could find the instructions to tie one
Paul........
Thanks....

JerryInLodi
10-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Paul, talk to your buddy Sturmer. He has a killer Puglesi type pattern that he tied for me. It's so lifelike you might try sprinkling some butter and lemon on it and put it in the oven!