PDA

View Full Version : Middle Rogue Steelhead

Langenbeck
10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
First here is the pre-dawn setting:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/CavemanBridge23Oct06.jpg

And here is the fish - a 26" wild fish with a portion of it gill plate missing:
Fishing at least for me has been slow lately. Now getting cold nights & no rain in the forecast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/26Steelhead25Oct06.jpg

Hairstacker
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Gordon, very nice! I'd be thrilled to catch that fish even if it was missing portions of both gill plates, a fin, maybe an eye. It has to have a head though. :lol:

Adam Grace
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Are you looking for a roomate Gordon? :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Hey Gordon,

That looks a little like a Salmon?

10-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Gordon,

I agree with Bill. It looks like a Jack Salmon to me? Are the jet boats running the river, or is it too shallow?

Langenbeck
10-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Black Sheep: The jet boats(Hellgate Excursions) pulled their fleet out about a month ago. Would agree that in some respects this fish looks a little like a jack salmon but am 99% sure it is a steelhead. At least I have never seen rosy gill plates on either a coho or chinook jack. Also when removing the hook the inside of the lower jaw was white which would rule out a chinook.
A coho would be ruled out because there are spots on the lower tail lobe. Rogue currently flowing at 1,190 cfs and 48 degrees. Tonight's low in Grants Pass is forecast for a cool 28 degrees.

jbird
10-26-2006, 01:04 AM
I agree Gordon, That looks like a steelie to me. It is nice and thick and particularly bright, An early B run Perhaps?? I have caught a couple fish out of the rogue with similar gill plate wounds/deformities. I have also been seeing fish with smashed in noses...like they hit a brick wall at high speed...weird.

Anyway, nice fish. I was starting to wonder about not hearing from you for a while.

J

10-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Langenbeck and jbird,

Up to a couple of years ago when my friend in Wilderville died, we used to fish the Rogue every year. I usually got off the river when the excursions did, because places like Dunn Riffle have a higher standing wave at low water than at high. If you take Dunn Riffle head on at low water you will definitely go under. The fly shop near Galice was always helpful. His best advice was to stick to one fly, and fish it. Do you guys have a sled? If not, I’m getting in the mood for a trip up to the Rogue, and could pull my 16 foot FishRite up there.

Langenbeck
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Black Sheep: My sled is a thirty one year old 8 foot Valco pram which I use behind the house. Away from the house I wade fish.

Katz
10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
That is one buff fish.... They dumping steriods in that river or something. :shock:

Kraig