PDA

View Full Version : ForeBay Report

Jay Murakoshi
10-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Got to the Forebay just after sunrise. Launched the pram and started fishing top water in the weeds. The water level is down so the weeds are exposed. Lot's of boils on the top water, landed two LMB. Decided to change over to the Hairy Crank Bait pattern. This is definitly a different game. While stripping this fly through heavy weeds, it came to a sudden stop... Ahhh crap, weeds... But then the weeds started to move. Landed a 4lb LMB on the crank bait fly. I was curious on how this thing tracks through the water so I made a short cast and put the trolling motor on slow and watched this the fly wiggle and dive right through the weeds.
Oh yeah, I also had one of those HATED jet skier's circleing around me today. I wish I would of had my potato launcher.

Then a dry spell hit, nothing for at least two hours of casting. It was like turning the switch off. Around noon, started catching some small stripers and then it shut off again. The water was flat all day. Really no wind to speak. Around 3:30pm, the surface of the water started to have some action. Stripers were feeding on top and every cast was a striper. All you had to do was get the fly close to the boil and HOOK UP. Then just like flies on POOP, I had this guy in a big boat come all the way from the main channel to where I was fishing. He started to troll within 15 yds of me. That set off the TEMPER..... Nothing was held back. I told this guy what the **** do you think you're doing. Can't you see that I'm ******** fishing here. I told him that he was an inconsiderate m**********. He said something to me and if I had a big motor than a trolling motor, I would of chased him down.. As it was I followed him as close as I could trying to snag his trolling lines. I had the razor blade all ready to cut some mono. I don't like being an a$$ but when the whole forebay is opened and they come that close, then it's time to fight for my terriotory. Well, I did catch one striper around 8lbs on top water.

Quit fishing around 5:30 and loaded up the pram..... Had thoughts running through my head about going over to the other ramp and meet my new found friend, but decided to go home.

The fish are there just gotta be patience

Jay

mikenewman
10-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Jay
I feel your anger but I've got to tell you that I laughed out loud when I read your post - especially the image of you pursuing the big boat in your pram, razor at the ready. Bet that guy had nightmares last night :lol:

On the Hairy Crank Bait: doesn't the lip cause problems with line twist? Also, how is it fixed to the hook? (Or is that a trade secret?)

Cheers
Mike

mark m
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi Jay,
Nice report. I've had boats troll circles around me at the Forbay after I've hooked a couple.

Do you find that the afternoon bite is better than the morning bite? Most times I only go in the mornings.

Thanks
Mark

Jay Murakoshi
10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Mark,

The LMB and striper bite is definitly better in the afternoon/evening, especially this time of year. the water is cooler in the AM and heats up a few degrees by the end of the day. Although, yesterday I did have more LMB blow up on the top water hair bug. The stripers were busting bait around 3:30pm but it only lasted maybe a half hour.

might hit the forebay in the morning - that's if I can get my housework done and some orders filled

I'll report if anything happens

Jay

SteelieD
10-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Good for you for letting him have it Jay! I hear you about not wanting to be an A$$, but sometimes it's more than you can take! Gald you got into some good fish.

dtp916
10-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Jay your story is so funny, I would have done the exact same thing :lol: :lol: I feel you with the space issue...seems nowdays thats becoming more of a problem everywhere we are fishing. :? :?

Good thing you did your thing and kept on catching fish 8) 8)

James