PDA

View Full Version : Delta, 10/21

Darian
10-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Well guys,.... Went out to the Mokelumne down by the San Joaquin River in an attempt to scrag some Stripers (using a fly, of course). :lol: :lol: Within 200 yds of the launch site, we were marking a bunch of large fish suspended at around 20' in 30' of water. The tide was running out with moderate current. Water temps 62 degrees. Air cool, dead calm. Beeeeyootiful sunrise in progress. I was feeling that this was going to be the day. :D :D :D I should'a known better. My trolling motor was inoperative.... :x :x :x

My son and I fished along a drift for about 1/2 miles without a single take..... :? We tried flies, lures without success. Moved on down the river aways to a shoal with tules around a flat. Deep/fast water on the other side. We fished the flats with spinner baits and picked up several Black Bass to 2 pounds. Water was very clear so we could see fish following our lures. 8) 8)

While we were there, a large cruiser was anchored close to the deep edge of the shoal. They were bait fishing and catching some large fish, periodically. Wasn't close enough to be able to ID the fish. :? Could've been Salmon or Stripers.... :? :?

Been working on the trolling motor. Soon as it's done I'll be back out there.... 8) 8) 8)

10-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Darian,

I have been out to the Delta 3 times this fall, and my experience has been about the same as yours. I’m thinking about taking a package of anchovies out there, and testing various places to see if there are any Stripers.

JerryInLodi
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Darian, the bite fell apart about half way through Saturday and has not come back yet. Maybe today.

The fish you graphed were probably salmon.

Stripers are really flooding the system and can be seen working most waters, even some large fish in now. Most of the large fish are further south from where you launched. I'd suggest launching in the area of Eight Mile Road, west of I-5.

Darian
10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Well,... I've checked the battery. It's in great shape. :? Cleaned the connectors. Visuals of the wiring doesn't show any problems. Used two different on/off switches with no response from the errant, evil device. :x :x Next, gotta check the wiring with a voltage detector to see if the motor is getting the "juice".... Looks my level of fishing frustration will continue for awhile.... :? :? :?

Richard,... My son has been out several times with bait and has done well on Catfish. 8) 8) 8) :?:

Jerry,.... I was wondering if those fish weren't Salmon. Someone once told me that when Stripers are schooled up in an area like that, they often don't bite. 8) 8) He said he's been able to get a few of them while (gasp :shock: :shock: ) jigging.... :lol: :lol: Anyway, if I can solve this problem today, I'll be back out there with some top water fly stuff. Thanks for the tip about Eight Mile Rd. I fished around there last spring. Did well and found it very fishy lookin'..... 8) 8) 8)

Hairstacker
10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, at least where I was at in the South Delta today, I think the bite still hasn't come back. I was there for a couple of hours and saw absolutely no signs of any kind of gamefish whatsoever the entire time I was there. I was fishing the outgoing tide from the very top and onward. I think I got a couple of grabs on a Clouser but I wouldn't be surprised if they were just small LMBs or very small schoolies. :? Ah well, win some, lose some, no doubt there will be better days ahead. :D

JerryInLodi
10-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Darian, yes, of course they could be stripers! I'm just basing my guess on the fact that the salmon jiggers have been working the Mok hard and they like the intersections of the sloughs with the main river. The last time I was up the Mok I must have passed 75 salmon boats, all jigging, however didn't see a fish hanging on the back of a boat the whole way.

Yes, I've graphed stripers on a riffle bottom just holding in the current behind a larger than normal bump in the road. When doing so I made sure I was EXTREMELY quite in the boat and moved off to the side and slightly ahead of the fish and fished for them steelhead style, cast upstream, throw mends on top of the fly to sink it quick, strip in line till you think you're straight lined just above the fish and then use fairly short strips to animate the fly but not cause it to rise in the water column. Sometimes you get lucky!

Darian
10-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Jerry,.... Thanks again for the info.... I thought I was going to be able to solve my problem with the trolling motor today but,.... No luck!!! :( :( The fuses look good all of the connectors look clean and feel solid. I tested the circuit and still found no evidence of voltage reaching the motor.... I'm stumped :? :? :? Gonna take the boat to a marine shop tomorrow..... 8) 8)

This has really got me "ticked".... :x :x :x

JerryInLodi
10-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Sunny's Marine Electronics. Very good service.

Darian
10-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Yep,.... I have an appointment at Sunny's on Thursday (next week). :) :) Gonna have hime go thru the electrical system and do anything necessary to update it. :) :) I'll be cookin' out there next time.... :D :D :D :D