PDA

View Full Version : Tying a Christmas Caddis

flyboy
10-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Last winter on the American River I met a guy that was using a Christmas Caddis for steehead. I was wondering if anyone knows what materials and steps go into tying a Christmas Caddis. I've researched on the internet and can find nothing. Thanks for the help in advanced.

Katz
10-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I remember a post showing steelhead caught on a Xmas caddis back in about Jan. There is a pic of the fly and it looked like a big Fox Pupah with thick RED chanelle instead of the olive or tan.

Kraig

PatrickM
10-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I believe that was MSP. I'd also like to see the Christmas caddis, and some of his other variations of the poopah too. MSP?

MSP
11-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Sorry for not posting this sooner, but I haven't been to this forum in a while. Here is a pic of the Xmas Caddis. I tied it last year to try on the Trinity for Salmon, they didn't care for it much. When I fished the American in Jan. the flow was at 12,000 cfs and quite murky. I decided tio tie on the brightest fly in the box which was this Xmas thing. Seemed to work pretty good under those conditions. Hopefully we won't have to endure those conditions this year and can stay with more conventional patterns. I call it the Xmas Caddis because of the red body and the peacock head. Other than that it's just a Fox Poopah.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/xmascaddis.jpg

PatrickM
11-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks for posting that pic, Mike. I see you didn't put antennae on your caddis, but just rapped the hackle all the way around instead. Do you do that on all your poopahs?

MSP
11-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Yea PM, I don't bother with the antennea on my Poopah's. I think they look cool but I'm not sure the fish really care. I try and keep things as simple as I can, expecially when tying. Call me a simpleton cause I am :roll: