PDA

View Full Version : Trout Streams off I-80 East

dtp916
10-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know of some streams off of I-80 between Colfax, Gold Run, Dutch Flat, and Alta holding trout? I know of the American River near Iowa Hill Bridge, I've caught trout there in the spring and SMB later on in the summer. I understand that it might be too late in the season now to fish them :cry:

I'm just lookin for some new spots besides driving to Truckee (which is what I normally do :? ) Also, is there a better/faster way to get to the Rubicon River than Mosquito Ridge Rd?

Anything would be helpful 8)

Ed Wahl
10-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Dude, if you've never accessed the North Fork from one of the trails off Foresthill Rd your in for a real eye opener. Kind of a tough walk out but definitely do-able. The forest service in Foresthill has some good handout maps for those trails. As for the Rubicon, it sounds like your taking the long way in, Wentworth Springs road out of Georgetown will take you there. Go past Stumpy Meadows Res about 5 miles, you'll see a sign for Hell Hole and French Meadows, that's Eleven Pines Road, take the left turn down the canyon, five miles and your there. It's an hour and 45 mins from my house in N. Highlands to the bridge. That's Ellicotts Bridge, if you want to sound like a local. Fishing was a little slow last Monday there, but it was raining pretty hard. Saw some fall caddis, normally I would see a lot this time of year, but like I said, it was raining. Hope that helps. You mentioned two of my favorite streams in the state. Ed

Darian
10-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Have you ever tried Fordyce Creek :?: :?: Haven't fished it in many years, myself. It's a bit of a walk over a good jeep trail in from Eagle Lakes (off hwy 80) but used to be well worth it. 8) 8) The upper So. Fork of the Yuba is up there, too. :? :? Not a lot but maybe something to do.... 8) 8)

dtp916
10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Ed - normally it takes me about 1 hr 15 min to get to the Rubi above Oxbow, which is really the only spot I've been to.

Darian - Fordyce Creek :) I have heard that place could be good. Thanks for the tip 8)

dtp916
10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Ed - normally it takes me about 1 hr 15 min to get to the Rubi above Oxbow, which is really the only spot I've been to.

Darian - Fordyce Creek :) I have heard that place could be good. Thanks for the tip 8)

Ed Wahl
10-21-2006, 11:57 PM
I've fished that stretch in the past. Have'nt been down there this season though. Once chased a bear down that road for about a tenth of a mile before it dove off the side. The river bed is a bit wider there than up at the bridge, but the fishings still good. Ed