PDA

View Full Version : Strippin Bucket

Katz
10-19-2006, 08:18 PM
How many of the frequent boating striper chasers out there use a stripping bucket in their boat?

If you use one, is there one out there that is way better than others. I have seen converted trash cans and real fancy things on some of the boats I have passed.

Thanks, :)

Kraig

ernest v
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I use a Stan Pleskunas LMD. I have used everything from 5 gal buckets to garbage cans of all shapes and sizes. I have set spikes in epoxy in the bottom to aid in line tangeling, In the buckets I have made. Im so used to having a LMD (line management device) I bought the travel version from Pro Trim to take to mexico. Fits in my huge duffel with all my tackle packed inside.

Put a couple of inches of water in the bucket a chuck that shooting head a country mile.

If you arnt into spending the 150.00 for a trick bucket, just get a garbage can and try it out cheap.

http://www.mbflyfishing.com/stan.html
http://www.danblanton.com/whatshot.html

ernest v

Katz
10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the great links.

Kraig

larry sommerfeld
10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Anyone who has ever fly fished from a boat on a windy day knows how frustrating it can be - if there is anything on the boat for your line to tangle with, it will. You definitely need a LMD. Stan P’s LMD is well-engineered and built of quality material. If you’re not put off by the price, that’s the way to go. Personally, I couldn’t justify spending $150 on something that I could build for less than $20. I built 4 LMD’s before I came up with one that I liked. It works well, is durable, cheap and easy to make. It’s not a Pleskunas but its not bad.

MATERIAL LIST:
13 gal. Rubbermaid trash can
4 medium size plastic funnels
Silicone adhesive.

The funnels act as “fingers” to keep the coils of line from tangling. To assemble, drill a 1/4” hole or cut a 1/4” notch near the top of the funnel to allow for the movement of water. Place the funnels up side down in the trash can (pointed end up) Move them around until they are evenly spaced. I put one in the center and the other three evenly spaced between the center and edge. The pattern you choose isn’t as important as having them evenly spaced. After you’re satisfied with the arrangement, mark their position and remove them. Run a bead of silicone around the rim of each funnel and glue in place. Allow your new LMD to sit overnight for the silicone to set and you’re in business.

To use, put about an inch of water in the LMD. Add 2 or 3 drops of dish washing liquid, or a squirt of Armorall or 303. This will break the surface tension of the water so that the line comes out of the bucket easier. If you use dish washing liquid, don’t use too much or by the end of the day your will have soft, prune textured hands. Don’t strip off more line than you will cast. The extra line laying in the bottom of the LMD will twist and tangle.

Big Dave
10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
"No Buckets" !!!

Too much effort spent worrying about getting the line in the bucket. And I dont always strip the same way, so Id rather focus on the strip rather than the bucket. I dont always stand in the same position either with the bucket right at one spot at my side. Wind blowing from different directions , boat moving because of the currents , boat moving for positioning , fish suddenly busting at your 6 ... all interfere with using a bucket. Windy days are supposed to be one of the prime times to use one and those days are the ones I least wish I had one available. Even more time and thought put into "getting that damn line in the bucket" !!!!

Keep the decks clean of line grabbers , wear flat bottom shoes and learn to "dance" a little bit every now and then !

( Yes I understand they do have their place and I even have a basket or two laying around somewhere. )

If you learn to fish without one , you wont become totally reliant on them.

Thats all....

mikenewman
10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I'm often to be seen indulging in a bit of line dancing - elegant it is not :oops: I also have a love/hate relationship with my bucket. I keep it on the boat but only use it when frustration reaches boiling point.
Flat shoes are good, barefoot is better still and I find is a comfortable proposition for most of the year. (Once I learned the lesson that feet get sunburnt too)

Mike

WinterrunRon
10-29-2006, 04:12 AM
I agree with Big Dave... no buckets, but would like to add...

What works for me is the colapsable stripping basket Bill sells in the shop that straps to your waist. Inexpensive and highly effective.

I'm up fishing and down driving from spot to spot 10-25+ times an outing and never take it off. Nothing I've used comes close to its usefulness and convenience IMHO.

Ron

WinterrunRon
10-30-2006, 01:10 AM
BTW, if you go in to Bill's shop, make sure you buy the collapsible one's, the colapsable ones don't exist.

Why don't I notice the spelling errors before I post? Mind says do one thing, fingers do another... urgh!

Ron

paulegan81
11-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Just picked a laundry basket up at the WAL-MART and put it in the boat.....
$6-7 put about 2" of watter in it and had the best day casting off of a boat ever I use custom tip express and it gets sticky lieing on the deck the water solved this problem..... now when I make a short cast to the bank or a poping fish a loop stays in the bucket making it easeir to hit the hole when I start to strip......?????BUT!!!!!!! that causes a litle twist and when I cast the hole line (all i have off of the reel) then it is harder to hit the bucket with the first few strips mostly with a cross wind.....!!!! the bucket is waist high I don't think I could get a taller one or even if that would help????? I like the bucket!!! when I can hit it!!!! Kind of like the tollies I like them too when my fly is not stuck to them.... also the bucket is kind of clumsy in my small boat 17' and I have to lay it down and put my foot on it when I run. the water is the key maybe I will just not put the plug in the boat and try that next time??????

Katz
11-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Great idea on the plug :o

Leave it out until there is about 3-4 inches of water in the entire bottom of the boat. That would keep the line nice and greased and you wouldn't have to worry about missing the bottom of the boat with your first strip after a long cast :lol:

Would be nice for wakeboarding between spots too. Like having your own built in bilge tanks!

Katz

larry sommerfeld
11-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Paulegan81:

I have a 17' center console and at first had the same problems with the bucket. After you've used it a little, and get used to it, the "ring the bucket" problem just kind of goes away. I place my bucket in front of the console when I'm running and it stays put. When I'm running very fast or trailering, I secure the bucket with a bungee.

ernest v
11-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Whatever works. Learning to dance around a running line is pretty funny.
I'd rather unhook fish and get my line out for another tug. When I move I just lay my rod in its gunnel rack and rip. It takes longer to deploy the trolling motor than to cast into a slot.

Learning is allways part of fishing as long as Im learning what works for me.

get bit....btw 10-29 to 11-2 Delta has been fishing well, getting lots of teener fish this week.

ernest

paulegan81
11-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Yes it is fun learning all the new things about boat fishing, I like the bucket.... if only for the one reason it keeps the line wet..... when in La paz it was fun to dance I hardly ever had to cast more than 40 feet or more than 5 or six times before a hook up. but when blind casting the bucket is very good...I motor slowly up to a drift, switch the key off,swager to the front of the boat, drop the motor-guide in, fill the bucket stretch my arms, survay the bank, take a couple of good bereaths, then start to cast....... if fish are busting the bucket is lying on the deck while I bring in the first one..... then I untangle and get ready I can never pause and get set when I find busting fish...
???? has any one seen the seal around franks track?????

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-07-2006, 12:56 AM
I have been fly fishing from boats for over 35 years and for over 20 years out of flats boats in the tropics where we use no buckets and I go bare foot. Yes, you do learn to do the dance or shuffle at times to be sure your line clears while casting or after you hook a good fish.

I thought stripping baskets and these boat buckets were not needed. I thought they would be restrictive to my casting style and in the way.

I have not really tried the stripping baskets much yet but we sell more every year now.

I did use the boat buckets twice now and found that they work just fine. If someones boat is cluttered they help fix that problem plus your running line is always wet (you keep a few inches of water in the bottom of the bucket) and it shoots really great. The boat buckets are really good on windy days too. They keep your running line from blowing off the deck.

I think we should be open minded so people will try things for themselves and see what works for them.

Many top Striper fly fishers use the buckets and some don't.

We don't carry those buckets but we might in the future.

As a fly shop owner, if you just carried what you liked, you wouldn't last a season. I guess you wouldn't need much inventory either? Hell, I wouldn't need to carry those darn indicators!