PDA

View Full Version : Strange Wednesday on the Delta

JerryInLodi
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
I was motoring east down the San Joaquin deep water channel at about Middle River when I saw something swimming downstream with the current. At first I thought it was a beaver or sea lion but when I got closer I saw that it was a golden lab. He (or she) was right in the middle of the channel and had some tulles hanging from its neck as it paddled along.

I slowed the boat down and motored toward the dog but he shied away. I called in my most dog friendly voice but it didn't do any good. Every time I got close he turned away.

I decided to use my boat cutting horse style and worked him toward the shore. When he reached the shore he climbed out and was very shaky. I could see he was wearing a collar but the shore was rip-wrap and no place to try to land my boat. I'm not exactly sure of what island he climbed up onto but it did sport some telephone poles so I expect that it is one of the larger ones with roads and access.

Kind of feel bad, hope poor doggy finds his home.

10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Jerry,

Something like that is hard to get off your mind. I'm ready to take some dog food out there. I have running lights on my boat.

I was raised on a farm in Michigan, and back in those days hunters from Detroit would drop off their hunting dogs near our house after hunting season closed. If the stray dog has gone without food for too long, nothing will bring it back.

How was the fishing? I was experimenting with beads and an 8 weight floating line at Nimbus Dam. The weather was beautiful, plus bright salmon were being caught. All mine looked like they had cancer or something.

Richard

JerryInLodi
10-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Fishing was slow most of the day. About 1:45 the fish suddenly turned on and were ravenous until exactly 4:00pm. Then they all must have punched the clock and left. All union members. East delta in the smaller sloughs. Look for working birds or if not working, lots of birds on the shore waiting for something to happen. Unfortunately mostly under 15 inches.

10-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Jerry,

That Tide and Current URL that I posted at the other place has a few locations out in the Delta. When I return home, whether I had a good day or bad day, I usually look back to see what the tides were when I was fishing. I always forget to do my homework before going out there, and it’s hard enough to remember the boat keys.

JerryInLodi
10-19-2006, 08:22 AM
I have current tides on my GPS at numerous locations in the Delta. All I need to do is click on one of the tide symbols.

It was the top of the tide when the switch went on, the top of an incoming is generally my favorite. It allows the predators to get deep into the cover where the itty bitty baits hide out!

10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Jerry,

The electronics are amazing now-a-days. I usually take a guy fishing who is pushing eighty, so I anchor and let him swing flies though the current. He wont ware his life vest, and I’m worried about him being swept way while I'm anchored. Do guides jump in leaving the boat anchored, or is it best to float the boat down current and drag him back into the boat? Wish I could tie a safety line on that guy.

Katz
10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Jerry,

I just got a Lawrance that shows the tides at Rio Vista, etc. If you wouldn't mind can you tell me what I am looking at when I click on the tide icon. I have looked once and it was (I think) green with the #2. I'm not sure though as I am just starting to play with it.

Any help with the GPS operation would be greatly appreciated.

Kraig

Denny Welch
10-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi Jerry,

At first I thought you were going to say you had snagged that jacket you lost a couple weeks ago. Instead, it sounds like you saved the dog's life. That makes for a happy ending.

JerryInLodi
10-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Richard, never jump in the water after someone. You just compound the problem. And what do you do once you catch them?

1. Always have your throw cushion handy. I have mine right at my seat. I also have a whistle on it and should put a light on it but I'm not out at night that often.

2. If you have to, cut the anchor line. An anchor is less than 15 bucks. Keep a SHARP knife handy. You can cut a line in five seconds. It takes a couple of minutes to pull an anchor in.

3. Get down to the person as quickly as possible but don't run them over or chew them up with the prop.

4. Once there, pull them in. Don't go in the water after them. If so, you've just doubled the problem.

As for your old friend, you can buy the bass pro inflatable belts that are just about nothing to wear and will keep him afloat until rescued. I think they're selling for less than $40 now.

JerryInLodi
10-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Katz, from what you describe I don't think we have anything similar. I have a Lowrance 337 with the Navionics 912 chip. The delta displays with large T's in boxes at stratigic locations. I just shift my crosshairs to one of the locations and hit my waypoint button. A complete graph of the high and low pops up with the times and heights. I also have the phase of the moon, moon rise, moon set, sun rise and sun set.

Still not satisfied though. It doesn't tell me what fly to tie on and what direction to cast.

Actually, I've looked around for a decent side finder and am not ready to put the money out for anything I've seen so far. I did buy a Bottomline Buddy 4200 and found it to be a piece of junk. It detected fish when the whole thing was out of water!

Katz
10-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks, I suspect we do have the same thing. I just don't know what I'm talking about. :lol:

I will try the Waypoints button while over the T and see what I can learn.

Let me know if you find a side finder you like. I fished with Dan Blanton and he uses one in his boat. Not sure how well the thing actually marked fish but it did keep you interested when the fish kept showing on the screen.

Thanks again.

Kraig