PDA

View Full Version : Egg Fishing Season Is Coming !

Bob Laskodi
10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Egg fishing season has already started on a small scale for those rivers that have early Chinook runs, and will be going full bore shortly. The fall trout spawn will also be going full bore pretty soon, so the opportunity to fish eggs on streams that don't host salmon runs will also exist. In addition, many suckers, whitefish, and other stream fishies will also be spawning creating quite an egg smorgasbord for the angler. Here are some tips for matching the egg "hatch".

The size and coloration of the egg varies widely from the various fish species and the coloration of the egg is also affected by a variety of factors including fertilized vs non-fertilized, length of time in the water, amount of fungal infection, and many other factors. Most of the smaller non-trout spawning fish produce smaller eggs (3-5 MM) in a huge range of colors so it can be difficult to match the hatch. Coloration also varies widely making the choices all the more difficult. Trout spawn is best replicated with eggs in the 5-6 MM range and have similar coloration to salmon spawn (to be discussed later). Chinook spawn is best imitated with eggs in the 9-10 MM range, and sockeye and pink salmon eggs are best imitated with eggs in the 7-8 MM range.

Coloration of the egg can vary widely, so the hatch matching angler better have a wide selection of colors. Of course the best way of matching the egg hatch is the same as matching the more common "bug" hatch in which observing and seining the food available will provide the angler with the obvious clues they need to be successful. The following pictures of sockeye salmon eggs can provide you a head start from which to base your egg patterns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/JPEGS235a.jpg
This picture shows the coloration of relatively fresh sockeye eggs that are unfertilized and have been washed away from the redd. Note the translucent nature of the egg. One can see a small but significant variation in color between the various eggs that is mostly related to how long the egg has been in the water. The darker, redder shades are eggs that have been more recently expelled from the fish. After the eggs are exposed to the water, they swell (absorb) a small amount of water that will start a color change to a more orangish-red hue. The longer the egg is in the water, the more orangish it becomes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/JPEGS231a.jpg
This picture shows the coloration of much older sockeye eggs, mixed in with some very old eggs that are infected with fungus that makes the egg lighter and more opaque. Note the wide range in coloration and opacity of the eggs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/JPEGS227a.jpg
This last picture is a close-up of a variety of ages of eggs showing extreme color variation depending on the amount of time the egg has been in the water, and also the extent of fungal infection that greatly changes the coloration and opacity of the egg.

Flyfishers are some of the best entomologists around and are obviously interested in match the exact stage of the insect that trout are eating. Hopefully these pictures will help you get started on your quest to match the egg "hatch" with the same degree of preparedness.

10-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Bob,

That is one subject that's hard to be discussed without getting into the politics of fishing with Beads, plus all the name calling. Like, each side calling the other side, “Snaggers”.

A good place to experiment is at the close-in shallow riffle at Nimbus Dam on the American River. The Reds just lay on the bottom like a log after taking an egg pattern from a fly fishing outfit, and the steelhead are so full of salmon roe that they can’t do much better either.

The bead guys cast out into the deep current, and have a ball catching one salmon after another.

Just my two cents;

alaskanfish
10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
It is time to fish the flesh here on the Kenai (Alaska). I am constantly learning about fishing beads. This year the bead fishing was extraordinary!!! I found it very interesting that while trying to "match the hatch" the bite was extremely slow. Sure we would catch some, but it took great effort.

However, once we replaced the matched beads with a different color.... WOOOO HOOOO the bite was on! It could be that the fish simply have seen enough of the eggs floating by and was looking for something different (dessert???) .

We had the best success with "painted" beads. There are a variety of ways to paint the beads, i.e. nail polish, spray paint etc. But I found the one thing that made significant difference is dipping the painted beads in "Softex" liquid latex. This gave the bead the translucence and egg appeal that others miss.

http://www.onlineguidefinder.com/images/dolly_varden.jpg
22" Dolly Varden caught on a 6mm red/painted bead

good luck

Katz
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the great information. I had no idea about the fungus involvement in the color changes.

Every fall I get very excited about the "egg hatch" on the Lower Sac in Redding. If you catch it right you can have a 30+ fish day out there.

Hope I catch it right - 8)

Kraig

590Mike
10-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey Alaskan have you tried dipping the "ceramic " beads ? I saw the recipie on Alaska Flyfishing online and was wondering if that might work.

I got this one on a bead and flesh fly on the Aniak in July.
Are you trout fishing the Kenai now or is it steelhead season ?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/590mike/salmonriverfloattripjuly2006081.jpg

Katz
10-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Can any of you speak to pegging the eggs (putting them on the line above the hook and having the naked hook trailing)

I am wondering about thinks like how far back the hook goes, what size hook etc.

Thanks.

Kraig

590Mike
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
katz
While I didn't peg in Ak the rule seems to be no more than two inches above the hook. If I remember correctly any more than 2 inches leads to a greater chance of foul hooking.

I had a lot of luck using a flesh fly and a bead right at the hook,but I had a lot of luck with zonkers and a bead also. I am going to try those combo on the American this year.

alaskanfish
10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Mike,

Nice looking dolly/char. Fishing for 'bows is really good now on the Kenai... I do not know of anyone specifically targeting the 1 or 2 steelies that come into the Kenai, but it is generally believed that they are lost when they are found (if that makes sense)...

The Kasilof, Anchor and lower Kenai Peninsula streams are doing really good for steelies right now and will continue until freeze up.

I was fishing primarily an upper Kenai Peninsula stream for dollies and rainbows and doing quite well. Looking at a Kenai float this weekend though. There have been many wallhangers caught lately on beads or flesh.

I haven't tried the ceramics yet, nor have I heard personally from anyone who has... should be fine though.

You are correct on the pegging: 2" above a size 2 or 4 bare silver hook. Fish nymph style with a floating line and an indicator (unless you have a great feel for nymphing without an indicator). Keep the shot about 18" above the bead. I use a #4 corkie that I peg as well.

590Mike
10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Alaskan
Now that I have gotten myself off the floor and stopped sobbing thanks for the report. Someone I know up ther sent me a pic of a big bow.

I was trying to figure out how to get up there for a few days but my fiance' reminded me that I need to save my/her money...
Just what the h$%& for she won't say. So here I stay happy happy happy. /waiting to go shopping until the steelhead arrive.

alaskanfish
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Mike,

while you are in the dog house,... take a look at this:

http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1513&highlight=

Click on his photo bucket... now that'll bring tears to your eyes....

590Mike
10-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Oh forget crying I'm going for all out depressed! Those are some beautiful fish !! And some FAT rainbows!! I added that site to my favorites. Thanks
Mike

10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Hey guys,

I just returned from the Nimbus Dam, and when Sacramento has a nice day, it’s really a nice day. It was about 80 degrees, and I was about ready to jump in for a swim.

After reading Richey’s article, “To Line or not to Line” in the current Salmon-Trout-Steelheader magazine I was watching real close to see how many salmon got snagged with beads. While hunting in Montana I couldn’t help but notice that the California guides are a little different, but I have to admit that quite a few salmon did get snagged on the American River today. Maybe Richey is right on target?

I experimented with my 8 weight and floating line for about ½ hour, but I forgot to bring my split shot to keep my bead and bare hook near the bottom. The current issue also gives detailed information on how to rig beads for fly fishing. (Pages 30 and 50) It wouldn’t be right for me to disclose it here, but I did learn some really good bead tricks from the Oct-Nov issue.

I don’t know if Richey’s take on this bead stuff applies to fly fishing? What do think?

Darian
10-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi Richard,... I asked a question about the article you mention under the related topic. Your post is the only one I've seen about the article. I found it very timely and in keeping with the discussion under that topic. 8) 8)

10-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Darien,

Check out the Woolle Bugger Jig on page 87 and the AeroJigs on page 6. This magazine if full of unconventional fly fishing items. It probably should be “X” Rated?

Richard