PDA

View Full Version : Putah 10/14

SuperFlyGuy
10-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Went out on Friday. The water was very cool to the touch and the sun was hidden behind a blanket of clouds.

Had the most productive day on Putah yet. 7 Hookups and 4 landed. Most productive fly seemed to be on the tan poopahs.

It feels awesome when you are finally figuring out a body of water. I've been fishing on that creek for 2 years with NON landed. Now thanks to this board and the knowledgable staff, I've "learned" to fish that creek.

Would love to get into some browns, though.

-SFG

Katz
10-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Congrats. I am definitely no expert on the browns there, but most of the success I have heard about is lower in the river, closer to the lake.

My brother-in-law got an 8lb brown stripping buggers in the lake from a pontoon boat about 200yards down stream of where the creek enters Lake Solano.

There are definitely some monsters in there.

Kraig

SuperFlyGuy
10-20-2006, 02:18 AM
strippin buggers huh? Sounds like another reason for me to buy a kayak. Theres just so much weeds in that area I didnt think it could hold too many trout. guess I was wrong?

SullyTM
10-20-2006, 10:17 AM
superfly...Way to go! I haven't had that much success on Putah, but this time of year with the flows down you should have plenty of access to some of the "hot spots". The browns?? Well, I've been told that the best place for brown hunting is on the far side of the "island" down around Access #5. Go down the hill until you come to the big dead tree stream side. There is a nice pocket of water there with fast moving water...Toss a few flies. Next, head downstream(on the narrow trail or wet wade) until you come to the bend in the creek(less than a 1/4 mile downstream)...Toss some more flies.
Next, hike across the island...paying attention to your route. This section of the creek is supposedly where the big browns are. You'll be able to wade downstream or upstream. Go up stream and there are several pockets of water...toss some more flies!

I don't get up to Putah often, but when I do it is always a challenge.

Also, occasionally there are car break-ins. Leave no personal items in clear view. Take your car registration, etc. with you. Play it safe.

Good luck...

Thom