PDA

View Full Version : Lousy Rods

bkobrin
10-16-2006, 12:27 PM
All people talk about is how great the rod that they just tried out was. If I had a nickel for every person that said "this $150 rod casts as well as any $300 rod I've ever used", then I'd be a rich man. I'd love an example of a $150 rod that casts as well as a $50 rod in someone's opinion. Bad rods must be out there, so are there any examples that people have of rods that were just plain lousy? I understand that the feel is different for everyone, and one man's trash is another man's treasure, but I think we can trust that nobody's feelings will get hurt.

Darian
10-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Hmmmm,.... Seems that certain brand rod's can be bad for awhile and good later. I had an early Sage RPLXi, 996 that was a beast. It would cast any line at least 2 sizes up. It felt like a telephone pole and would've easily fought/landed a large sturgeon..... :shock: :shock: :lol: After it was lost thru a drunken banky knocking it overboard from my pram, I bought a new one.... What a difference this time. The newer rod is now 20 years old and still in service. It's, now, my go to Striper rod. :D :D

All rods have a place (whether high priced or not) and, occasionally you're gonna get one that you don't like. Trust me, someone else will like it. 8) 8)

bigtj
10-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I remember really liking the Cortland Precision 2 rods from the mid 90's that cost around $99. By comparison, I never liked the Sage SP+'s or the TCR's, unless they were over-lined a couple lines. Yet my favorite rods, like a 590-4 Xp and Loomis 10' 6-wt GLX, don't have equals, for any price. I bet you I could find any number of folks to argue the complete opposite. So I guess what I'm saying is that as long as the person buying the rod feels like they're getting what they want at the right value then price is irrelevant.

mike N
10-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't know much about what $50 rods are out there, but I have a few rods that are fairly inexpensive and I am pleased with their performance. I think the more proper point to be made is that a proficient caster can cast a low cost rod just as well as a high dollar rod. There may be subtle differences in the performance of the two, but good casting can overcome those differences quite effectively.

My $100 TFO rod out performs my Loomis in a similar wt. I can cast a $95 5wt farther than my Sage 5wt with the same line. I would say the performance is more or less equal, but the materials of the components are a different story.

So, maybe it would be more cost efective to spend the money on casting lessons prior to making a rod descision.

chicoflyguy
10-17-2006, 10:37 PM
The worst rod I have ever casted is the post Powell family Powells, the Tiboron and I think the Timax. Talk about a broomstick and they break incredibly easy. I think too many rods are built for people that want to be able to cast a whole fly line. But who can really effectively fish that far away without a bobber. Maybe its just preference but I like a faster action.

Dustin Revel
10-17-2006, 11:46 PM
bkobrin,
from what i have seen the cost of a rod correlates with the quality of the rod, there are a few exceptions that I have found.

chicoflyguy,
you have an interesting oppinion of the powell tiboron there are many people, myself included, who really like that rod. Most people who like faster action rods will like the tiboron (the stiffer the rod the faster the action). fishing with a bobber with the whole fly line out is a very dificult task. my main uses for a stiffer rod is casting shooting heads, and most saltwater application.

Dusty Revel
P.S. I try to focus on the likes more than dislikes, and I believe many will agree with me on this.

WinterrunRon
10-18-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm certainly no expert on fly rods but it's my experience you almost always get what you pay for. I have found plenty of exceptions however, or, in other words, what I would consider great values in a fly rod.

I've never bought a rod I didn't handle or cast first. In fly rods, I own a 8wt Scott spey for steelhead, 4wt Echo and 3wt TFO for trout, 8wt G Loomis for steelhead and 8wt G Loomis for striper. I casted them all before buying and bought for no other reason than they felt right for me and paying more for a "better" rod wasn't necessary. I don't buy the lablel, I buy the rod.

I wouldn't catagorize the ones I casted and didn't buy as bad. To me, a bad rod would have to equate to poor quality and/or poor performance. If it can't cast a line, if it doesn't fit together or if it falls apart after little use, it's a bad rod.

My .02 worth...

Ron

gryhackl
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I probably spend way too much time hanging around Kiene's and I have cast a TON of their rods. I have been around this sport for a good long time and started out with bamboo and glass. Any more today graphite is the technology and most all rods you see on the racks are multi- piece and I acknowlege the convienence of portability. However I notice in this thread everyone is talking about feel or castability. I would offer that I have had a recent epiphany when I acquired a new two piece Sage DS rod from Bill. Because I'm considered "old school" I suppose I do prefer a little softer action but the two piece rod, in my opinion has it all over any four piece rod of a similar action. Two piece rods are more fluid and have a natural lively feel. I'll hang on to my multi-piece rods just in the unlikely event that I win a trip to Belize or some other Valhalla but when you see me on the rivers around here from now on, I'll be casting two piece rods once again.

Darian
10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I've had some bad rods over the years.... Some glass rod manufacturers changed there products from a winner to a loser. Some glass rod products were always to brittle, etc. Overall I'd say I've had my share of good and bad rods.

Altho I have several multi-piece rods for travel, I still choose to use those that have the least number of sections. I once had a one piece rod (built from a Lamiglas blank) that I found wonderful to cast and use but it was so inconvenient to store/transport that I ended up putting a ferrule in it.... 8) 8)

chicoflyguy
10-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Dustin
Sorry it was a typo on the fast action, I prefer a moderate action, and I was not trying to upset anybody just stating my opinion on some rods I have casted and which rods I dont like. The thread is called lousy rods is it not?

Darian
10-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Ya know the post about Powell rods by Chico Fly Guy may have some merit.

Altho I've never used a Tiburon, I recently bought a Powell Tmax, 9', 4 piece, 10 weight for Baja. It looked, felt and casted great in the park. 8) 8) However, when in actual use, I found that the knurled ring on the reel seat kept loosening during the casting process. It doesn't have a locking ring. This became a major nuisance when fighting a fish. I had to constantly remind myself to tighten it.... :( :( The rod, itself, performed perfectly. 8)